Chapter 37.

DEJI

"Keep the change." Today I want to surprise her. Nostalgia creeps through my skin as I recount the very first day we met. This very spot; in front of this cafe shop.

Her coffee preferrence disgusted me on that day but here I am, buying that same cup for her. Please, I still prefer mine but I just want to do something for her.

As the elevator door closes behind me, I walk towards her work space and sit on her desk, waiting for her to arrive work.

"Hi." I say to her when she arrives.

"Hi." She says back, smiling.

"This is for you." I hand the cup to her, watching as her expression changes to one filled with excitement.

"Awww...thank you." She says, giving me a hug. Well, that was unexpected.

"Anything for a pretty lady." I say, complimenting her.

"Please, stop." She uses her hands to cover her face.

"Seriously, you are pretty. You should see yourself right now." It's just amazing how my big-headed self did not notice this from the onset.

"Hmmm. Thank you." She says in response. My hand snakes its way around her shoulders as I draw her close to me, leaving some place between my legs to allow her fit
perfectly in between them.

"How about that date you promised me?" She lets out a small laugh, hitting me lightly on my shoulders before taking a sip on her coffee. She closes her eyes, letting out a satisfactory sigh. This sight, it will remain glued to my memories. It is not the first and definitely won't be the last.

"This coffee, I have missed it." She says and I scoff.

"What?" She asks, feigning ignorance. She really knows how to keep an innocent face. I lift my eyebrows to reply her.

"Oh." She says, chuckling.

"The date." The shrill ring of my phone is heard, distracting us from our talk.

Mom

"Please, excuse me." I say, walking towards my office.

"Hello, ma." Mom called me to invite me to dinner tomorrow and of course, brought up her usual and most loved topic; getting me hooked up. To get her off my neck, I told her I already have someone and she said to make sure I come with her.

"Heyssss, fine girl." I call out playfully to Uwa after I end the call. She just chuckles, shaking her head.

"Sisi eko." I add. She bursts into laughter before standing up.

"What?" She asks. She stands in the middle of the walkway and place her hands on her waist.

"Come here." I say and she shrugs her shoulders saying No.

"Come here." I repeat and she does the same thing.

I start making quick and long strides towards her and watch her eyebrows raise up in surprise as I approach her figure, just a few feet apart. As my hands stretch to draw her to me, she bolts for her seat but as I am faster than her, I catch her and twirl her around.

"Stop." She squeals while I assault her with tickles. Next time, she will listen to me.

"Uwa." A voice calls out behind us. We snap our heads at the same time to see a very shocked Lauren. Uwa buries her face in my chest in embarrasment before finally lifting it up to answer her.

"Yes, how far?" She asks her with a smile. Lauren clears her throat moving her eyes towards me and back at her.

"I'll excuse you both. Come to my office once you are done." I tell her and give them their privacy.