Chapter 7.

Picture of Nimi above.

UWA

The next morning, I wake up as per usual and do my morning preparation routine for work.

"Engineer, how far?" Nimi calls out, strutting into my room. Amazing, sleep loving Nimi is already awake. Whenever she calls me engineer, it means she has something juicy for me.

"Fine o. Good morning." I greet with enthusiasm.

"Good morning, best friend." She jumps on my bed in the most unladylike manner ever.

"Welldone o, break my bed." I say, earning a chuckle from her.

"Owner of bed. Sha, I have something for you." She says and tosses me a newspaper which I did not notice were in her hands earlier.

"Page 7, there is a job placement for an assistant position at Jimdey Firm and guess what? The qualifications needed suits your field." She says, smilling. What did I ever do to deserve such a kind hearted best friend?

"Aww, thank you so much, my love." I say and flip over to the said page to look through the job qualification and truly, it fits mine. They even state clearly that they want an engineer, but how does an engineer fit into the job of an assistant? That's not my business, I'll try my luck and apply.

"Apply sharply. The application closes on Monday 4pm." She says.

"Yes, ma." I laugh at her caution. She only goes all mummy on me in instances such as this.

"Let me be going to work. Bye bye." I rush out, breathing in the morning air which feels more refreshing than normal. It could be because Madam is returning to work today and the burden of managing those crazy co-workers of mine will finally be lifted off my shoulders.

I step into the parlour and head straight for her office after Bimbo informed me of her arrival. Knocking on the door, her approval sounds and I turn the knob of the door to gain access to her office.

"Good morning, ma." I smile, bending my knees in a curtsy.

"Uwa." She smiles brightly at me.

"Good morning, my dear." She motions with her hands for me to sit down.

"You guys did a wonderful job yesterday and as such, this is the bonus I promised." She slides an envelope containing a bundle of cash across the table to me and my mouth widens in surprise.

"Thank you, ma." I happily say.

"So give me a report of how everything went while I was away." She requests and for the next minutes that follow, I give her a brief on everything that happened leaving out the incriminating parts of everyone. I am not that wicked to implicate my colleagues.

"You really did well, good job." She commends.

"Thank you, ma." I say.

"You may leave. Tell Kelechi to come and see me."

"Okay, ma." I stand up and leave the office. The first thing I do is inform the ever repulsive Kelechi of Madam's call before heading to the locker room to count the cash in the envelope.

"Twenty nine, Thirty." I end joyfully as I count the last note of the cash in the envelope. Thirty thousand Naira? Hah! This is like half of my pay in a month! What am I even saying? It is half of my pay in a month. Miracles do happen. This is nothing compared to the total amount of money needed for Osato's treatment but combined with the seventy thousand Naira that I was able to send home last week after several running around and Nimi helping with forty thousand out of it, it is a tremendous amount of money right now, filling up a huge puzzle which I had no answers to. Now, I would be able to complete the hundred thousand Naira down payment requested.

I will make payment to my mom's account on Monday since today is already Saturday or on a second thought, I could pay those guys that do transfer transactions to do it for me since his health status is becoming worse. Anyhow it is, I am happy I have been able to come up with the first part of the payment. Now I have three weeks left to settle the balance which is fifty thousand Naira. Phew! God will make a way.

I put the money in my bag and place it back into my locker, not forgetting to lock it securely. I cannot afford for this money to go missen.

Work begins for the day and it being a weekend, we are packed with alot of people who wanted the spa treatment. I am certain that you now understand why this business still has to operate on Saturdays.

"Is that all for today?" I ask Lade, the receptionist.

"Yes o. Pele (Welldone)." She says in response.

"Thank you, my sister. Hmmm." It is 3pm already, way pass our break time which we at the spa section could not observe as a result of the rush.

"Let me quickly go to that Instant Cash hub. I will be back soon." I inform her.

"Okay. No wahala (no problem)." She replies, scribbling God knows what on her jotter.

Opening the entrance door, I step out into the seemingly quiet environment. The perks of weekend. If it were to be on normal week days, an hour from now and the peaceful ambience will be broken.

Walking to the Instant Cash store, I jam to my favorite song by Burna boy, bouncing on my steps.

Kilo killo?
(It's Kel P Vibes)

Jeun soke o, dem go dey jeun soke o
All my people dem go jeun soke o
Boss man, e go jeun soke o

When the gbedu dey enter body, enter body

I laugh at some parts of the song because for some weird reason they sounded very funny to me.

By the time I am done listening to the song, my feet finds its way at the front of the shop and I push in the door to step in.

"Good afternoon." I greet the attendant.

"Afternoon, ma'am." The attendant smiles back at me.

"Please I want to transfer cash. Thirty thousand Naira." I state.

"Alright. We'll begin the process shortly." She looks into the desktop computer in front of her and turns back to look at me.

"Details, please." She begins.

Once I am done, a new wave of existence puffs over me. Immediately I step out of the shop I receive a call from my mom who was so thankful that I had to stop her and clearly remind her that it is my responsibility as the oldest child to help her with issues relating to finance. Following that, I head to the shop and soon enough, we close for the day.

"Have you applied for the job?" That was Nimi's welcome home greeting today.

"Good evening to you too." I roll my eyes to correlate with the sarcastic answer I give her.

"I am serious. Have you?" She asks.

"Not yet. I will do that tomorrow." I answer truthfully.

"Okay, no problem." She says.

"Greg called." She adds, making my heart miss a beat. The spoon of cereal in my hand falls instantly on the floor as my whole figure trembles in fear.

"H..how?" The stutter is evident in my voice as I struggle to speak.

AUTHOR'S QUESTION:
Who is Greg?