Chapter 13.

UWA

I flip through the last hard cover book for the day and sigh in exhaustation. If I would pick between a car running me over and being aware of this man being my boss prior to this job, I will pick the former over and over again.

I am done with everything required of me to know about the company that it feels like I have worked here for years. Phew! It is 5pm now. Packing up my bags, I head to the ground floor and go home.

"How was your first day?" Nimi asks.

"In one word, Terrible!" I sigh, slumping on the seat.

"Ahn ahn, what happened?" She asks.

"Remember the rude coffee/massage man?" I ask her, raising my eyebrows and she nods in response.

"Well, he so happens to be my boss. He is the CEO." I state, slapping my hands on my legs to lay emphasis on what I said and also on my dilenma.

"Good heavens! You mean the coffee/massage guy is Ayodeji Shodeinde?" She asks, a mixture of disbelief and shock written on her face.

"How come you know about him?" I ask.

"Who does not know about Deji and Timi, his bestfriend and business partner in this Lagos?"

"Me, apparently." I shrug. I know I met them before but I never knew who they actually were.

"You're living under a rock, then because how won't you know them?" My mind wanders back to that day at the salon and now I understand why Kelechi was so forward that day or Madam's nervousness and anxiety concerning their session at the spa.

"Well, they are dubbed by bloggers as the rich boys of eko. Both from wealthy families, they built their business from the scratch by themselves." She says, shrugging her shoulders. I scoff at how she sings their praises. Timi seems nice to me but Deji AKA my boss, he derived pleasure from my discomfort.

"He made my day a living hell. I actually thought I would faint." I sigh and go on and on, gisting her about the day's ordeals.

"Heels ke? You that can barely cope with heels for a day, talk more of everyday of the week. Sha, the pay is good. Just take flats with you to work everyday so you could use it for office runs." She says.

"Nice idea, oil dey your head (you are smart)." I say to her, smiling.

•••••

Walking into the now seemingly familiar building, I say a quick 'Good morning' to Clarion and dash to the elevator. It has been two weeks of working here. Two whole weeks of working with pure evil and from the way I occasionally catch him smirking at my discomfort, it is obvious that this man wants me out of here but if he believes I will just give up and quit, he has no idea how relentlessly determined I can get. Let us focus on the matter at hand right now, though. I am Late!! Again!! This 7:30 thing is just not working well for me.

Arriving at my floor, I am welcomed by an angry looking Deji, well I only call him by his actual name in my head

Arriving at my floor, I am welcomed by an angry looking Deji, well I only call him by his actual name in my head. A calm version of him is bad enough so you don't want to have a feel of the angry version of him because a mean boss as himself is so not fun.

"Miss. Omozuwa, you are late." Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

"I am sorry about that, Sir." I say, apologizing.

"I hate it when you give an apology for a scenario you could have clearly avoided." Will this man at least even allow me walk to my table? You would find it unbelievable that this talk is taking place in front of the elevator.

"Why are you late?" He asks, rubbing his forehead which has visible marks of annoyance.

"I got caught up in traffic." I reply, saying the honest truth.

"Traffic? You could have at least cooked up a more appealing lie." He hisses. Who says I am lying? The problem with human beings, they want you to say what they want to hear and not the truth, in most cases.

"Miss. Omozuwa, in the past two weeks since you began working here, this is the third time you are showing up late for work. Where do you stay?" He finally speaks up after looking at me from head to toe. For once, this man has asked something reasonable.

"Ikeja." I voice out, amidst the thoughts spinning in my head.

"We'll have to do something about it. Right now, you are late and if we don't get going, we will also show up late at our 8:30am appointment." He states, looking at his wristwatch. The elevator opens behind me and I am shoved inside. I wonder when he even opened it because I did not notice. His scolding probably distracted me.

"Sir, I need to get my jotting pad from my table." I stop the doors from closing by making use of my hands.

"Be fast. I won't wait too long for you." He says.

Making a run for my work space, I open my locker and pick out the jotter I usually carry along for meetings and for some weird reason change into flats before walking to the elevator to meet him downstairs.

I watch as he accesses me from head to toe and the next thing that he utters is;
"What is that on your feet? I thought I made it clear that you are to show up looking smart and specifically emphasized on heels. Go back and change that nonsense you are wearing." He hisses, walking to his car.

Why did I not just stick to the heels I wore? I turn around and sigh, smiling slightly when Clarion mouths a 'sorry' from across the lobby to me.

Taking the elevator, I go back to the 15th floor, change into the heels and return. The moment I arrive downstairs, this devil of a boss found it to be the right moment to start driving.

So here I am, clad in heels, running after a moving car and waving my hands to gain his attention. It works and he stops his vehicle to let me in. Panting heavily, I get into his vehicle and smile, saying thank you to him to which he smirks. However, deep within me, I could kill this man if given a chance. It is confirmed, this man is a wicked human being and my dislike for him has just trippled.

He takes a look at me, nodding his head to acknowledge my gratitude and turns on the car stereo then zooms off to our location; The B-Hive restaurant, Lekki Phase 1.