Chapter 40.

UWA

As I applied more pressure using the raffia woven hand fan, red glowing flames start consuming the black portion of the charcoal and with time, the flames are fully up and ready for use.

With one hand, I wipe off the sweat dripping from my face as a result of the heat. Even though my hands were black due to the stains, it poses no harm. Afterall, I could still wash it off once I am done.

"Iye, the beans don dey fire (the beans is on fire)." I say to her.

"Thank you my pikin (my child)." You see, you might wonder why not use a kerosene stove or gas? My mom here grew up in a typical traditional home where the method for cooking practiced strictly involved burning wood to produce heat which would then be used to cook food. To them, they believe food made that way has the best taste one could think of. I would not contest that, though. If you have doubts, party jollof is enough to convince you. Also, the fear of gas explosion. For the aspect for kerosene stove, the unstable rise and drop in the price of kerosene has discouraged from staying consistent.  Atleast she has stopped using firewood which was more messy and now uses charcoal.

"When you dey go back Lagos, na so dem like you for where you dey work (when are you returning to Lagos, is that how much they like you at your place of work) ?" She asks with concern in her voice.

"Mummy, you wan pursue me (are you chasing me) ?" She chuckles as I ask the question.

"Ah, no. I like as I dey see your face. The thing just dey surprise me (No, it's just surprising)." I just send a smile her way and stand up from the stool. Well, it has been three months since I left Lagos to Benin. Nobody, not even Nimi was informed about my location. I wanted it that way because Nimi knowing means Deji also being aware and he is the reason I left and resigned. Mum does not know that I am currently unemployed. She thinks I am on leave, I lied to her because I don't want her worrying so much about me. I am a big girl and I can take care of myself.

Hot tears fall down my cheeks as I remember the ordeal with Deji. Three months and I have been trying to get over him but the more I try, the more hurting it becomes.

"My pikin, why you dey cry (my child, why are you crying)?" Shit, what I have been trying to avoid. I quickly think of something to cover up for it.

"No, mummy. Na something enter my eye (something entered my eye)." From the way she looked at me, it doesn't take a soothsayer to figure out one fact. She does not believe me. In as much as she doesn't, she leaves me alone, not prying at all. Hopefully, I find a solution soon. If not, I'll have no choice but to tell her the truth.

Under the pretense of going to visit friends, I have been going job searching but nothing has turned out positive yet. I cannot come and add to mum's responsibilities. This was never how it was meant to be.

After cooking that morning, I have my bath and dress up, applying my roll on and perfume to conceal every smell of smoke wanting to surface from my body.

Putting on light make up and my sandals, I step out of the two bedroom apartment to our frontage just in the courtyard. Adjusting myself, I walk our of the compiund.

"Osalobua! (God!)" I exclaim quietly, not believing my eyes. I take slow soundless steps backwards, trying to escape.

"Uwa." That voice. No matter the time, it still made my insides churn. Not waiting, I dash for our apartment not missing the heavy steps following behind me.

"Uwa!" He calls out again. I don't turn to look at him because I don't want him influencing my decision. Well, he is already doing just that. See me running like a mad woman into the compound. Onlookers did nothing at hiding their prying selves.

"Blessing! Open this door." I say in a high-pitched voice, banging on our balcony gate.

"Sister, I am coming." Thank God her response was quick. The moment I bolt the gate, Deji stands in front of me. He looks so not fit for this environment. Here is a man, wearing a three piece Armani suit, standing in this our shabby looking compound. It's nothing compared to the kind of life he is used to having. The little crowd we have drawn from my neighbours was already embarrasing enough as I buried my face in my palms, trying to prevent the tears from falling.

Why is this man embarrasing me like this?

"Please, hear me out. Please." He begs.

"Please, go to where you came from." My tear infused voice speaks up.

"No, I am not leaving this place without you and it looks like we have an audience. You want to give them more to gossip about?" He asks.

"Fine." I huff before turning to go inside the house.

"Osato, come and lock the door." I instruct my brother.

"Okay, Sister Uwa." He answers and follows behind me.

•••••

"How did you find me?" I ask in annoyance. Deji sighs before speaking up.

"Look, I know you are angry and you have every right to be...." I don't allow him finish before I interrupt by raising up my hands to stop him.

"Just stop there. You have not answered my question." I give him a once over from head to toe.

"I had someone dig very deep into finding you." Well, that is weird because mom moved from the place we formerly occupied just before I came.

"And?" I ask with raised eyebrows.

"And I found you two weeks ago. I have been wanting to come but I wanted to also give you more time to calm down." He explains.

"As you can see, there's no difference now. So, can you excuse me?" I stand up and pick up my bag, ready to leave. Time is a luxiry I can't afford to waste. He holds my hand to stop me.

"Please, sit down. At least, let us order something and talk." He says in a pleading tone. I just hiss a little and look at his hand on mine before sitting.

"I am not hungry." I state, curtly.

"Alright but we can talk, right?" He asks.

"Yes."  I say.

"Thank you." He smiles and signals for the waiter.

"Fried rice, Chicken and drink for the two of us." He still ordered for two people. What part of I am not hungry does he not understand?