Young Love

A/N: The previous 80's one-shot was such a hit that I decided to do another one of Alan and Reader but when they were even younger. This one takes place in 1965 - I have done some research and I'm trying to stick to a realistic timeline of which events would have happened in Alan's life in the 60s, but since this is fanfiction, after all, I have made some changes. Please don't crucify me.

Most facts about Alan in this one, as in the 80s one, is actually true and is from the book: Alan Rickman, the Unauthorized Biography. I know he hated the book since the writer was so off about most of his character, but I did some research and the facts I use in here and in the previous one is indeed true. The book is really good to read, though, if you guys haven't already read it. It gives a lot of insight about Alan from his friends' perspectives. _______________________________________

The 1960s is one of the most tumultuous and divisive decades in world history, marked by the civil rights movement, the Vietnam War and antiwar protests, political assassinations and the emerging "generation gap."

With Rock 'n' Roll bands such as The Beatles making headlines in the music industry, recreational drugs are now synonymous with the sixties. The Woodstock festival have people high on marijuana and LSD, dancing in fields with paint on their faces and their hair flowing free.

The mini skirt just made it's appearance, designed to be free and liberating for women, allowing them to "run and jump". Fashion trends consist of simple geometric shapes and colours which give women a new kind of femininity. Women are free to wear more playful, youthful clothes that would have seemed outrageous ten years before. Psychedelic prints and vibrant colours are beginning to appear on clothes as the hippie movement gathers pace.

The Swinging Sixties is a youth-driven cultural revolution that emphasises modernity and fun-loving hedonism, with Swinging London as its centre. It sees a flourishing in art, music and fashion, and is symbolised by the city's "pop and fashion exports".

Young people are finally given a voice and freedom to do what they want. The parents of the Sixties teenage generation has spent their youth fighting for their lives in the Second World War and now want their own children to enjoy their youth and be able to have more fun and freedom. 

Which is why Alan is so utterly irritated with his mother right now. Instead of allowing him to enjoy his youth by visiting his pals down by the tracks, he is stuck at home doing homework on Mother's orders. 

"Alan, get the door, would you, love?" Margaret calls down from the top of the stairs at her sixteen-year-old son.

With a huff and an eye-roll, he discards his pencil on top of his homework, deliberately letting the chair scrape against the flooring as he pushes his chair out. While dragging his feet, he makes his way over to the front door, taking his time.

It's probably only the milkman, anyway.

"Hi, Alan," (Y/N)'s cheery voice calls and she gives a polite wave as he opens the door.

Her breath hitches in her throat upon seeing him. The tall, awkwardly lengthy boy that is Alan. He sure has sprouted since last summer. He is now unusually tall for a boy his age, at six foot one. His dark, sandy brown hair is cut short but there's still enough in the front to be swept to the side. He is still dressed in his school uniform - a faded light blue button-up dress shirt, grey woolly trousers, and his black loafers. His clothes look a little tattered, but she knows he is wearing his best.

"Oh, hey, (Y/N). Didn't expect you to come around today," his whole demeanour uplifts at seeing her.

How beautiful she looks today, he thinks to himself.