Chapter 16

“Armaan, look at this symbol,” I said, pointing on the locked door of my unknown rentmate’s room. Armaan was trying to peep through the curtained window, positioned beside the door. He turned towards the door, with a quizzical look. I continued, “This symbol is familiar to me… The same symbol was engraved on the treehouse's door.” Armaan said, clicking a picture of the symbol with my phone, “Look, I had already told you that we are going to get any clues from here to reach that Rohit. After all, from where things start, answers to many questions remain there. Both of you talked about such rubbish things but you skipped asking him about his profession or address or anything which can help us to find him.” Unfortunately, there were none of my rentmates present at that time to clear our queries regarding that unknown one. So, I rang up our landlord. With each ring, my heartbeat paced up. She received on the fourth ring, “Hello!” I responded immediately, “Hello Rita aunty, I need a small help from you.”
“Yes Jupi, what happened? Is everything okay?”
“Yes, aunty… I just wanted some details about the new rent holder.”
“Why Jupi? Any problem with him?
“No, aunty. Actually, none of us have met him yet. Neither seen him. It's necessary to remain acquainted with our rentmates. Aunty, you know well that how riskier it is to deal with strangers nowadays.”
“Hmm…  By the way, according to him he leaves during the dawn and arrives late at night. That’s why you all might not have met him. You girls stay alone on that campus. So, this time I thought to give the room to a guy. He is a nice guy. You girls can now feel safe with a guy on your campus.”
“Hmm… Aunty, can you please give some details about him. Like, about his profession or his home address?”
“No Jupi, it's against my rule to reveal my rent holders' personal details.”
I forced her but she was adamant with her words. Finally, she hung up the call.
“At least now we are sure about the gender, Armaan,” I said, after explaining the whole conversation with Rita aunty. He is a guy. It means he might be Rohit bhaiya. Armaan interrupted, “Stop calling that bastard, bhaiya.” I didn’t utter anything. We left from there.

Armaan was ready to start off his bike. Suddenly, his phone rang. While he was talking over the phone, I was staring at the campus with thousands of thoughts lingering over my mind. “Baby, I have to rush to the lab immediately," Armaan distracted me after hanging up the call. He continued, “I will drop you at my place. Please, don’t move out and lock the door from inside. I will be back soon.” I nodded.

                          *****

Nothing can be worst than a stressed girl engulfed in confusion, locked alone in a room. My mind was getting heavier with those overlapping thoughts. I tried to meditate for a while to calm down my mind. On closing my eyes, the nightmares started replaying. It got tougher for me to close my eyes. It felt like facing the difficulties with open eyes is comparatively easier than visualizing them later with closed eyes. I was struggling to fix my shivering eyelids and stabilize my eyeballs within the closed pair of eyes. Meanwhile, my phone buzzed off causing an excuse to open my eyes. The screen flashed an incoming video call from mom. The call added up to my worries. I started babbling to myself, “Omg… Mom on a video call? How can I receive the call? Armaan's room's background will not be familiar to her. I will be caught red-handed. This will create a mess in my family. If I would lie that I'm in my friend's house then she will request to have a glimpse of my friend.” The call got disconnected while I was busy preparing a lie. Out of nervousness, I was tapping my foot on the floor. There was no re-ringing on the phone. I decided to make an audio call to her. In the first ring itself, she received my called and yelled, “Jupi, why you didn’t receive the video call?” I was biting my nails, searching for an excuse. Her voice popped up again, “Jupi, can you hear me? Why you haven't received my call? Succeeding to find an excuse, helped me to speak up, “Mom, I'm doing group studies with my friends in one of their houses. That’s why I didn’t receive your call.
“Oops… Then you should study well. We will talk later on.”
“Okay, mom. I will call you back as soon as possible.”
“Pheew… I had to lie over the phone. Lying face to face has always proven to be a wrong step for me” – I thought. Again, my phone's ring distracted me. Preety's name flashed on the screen. I was not in a mood to chat with anyone but I didn’t want to miss my trustworthy rentmate's call. What if she could give me any clue about the new rent mate. My other half was giggling at my own condition – how helplessness can relate every situation in favor to solve the problem. Shutting up my inner giggle, I picked up the call. Before I could respond, she yelled excitedly over the phone, “Hey Jupi… How are you?” I replied, politely, “I’m alright. What about you?”
“I’m perfectly alright. But you are sounding low. What happened?”
“Nothing di… I'm okay. Tell me how's your family and your fiancée?”
“Oh, Jupi… Everyone is okay but not stabilized. Days are slipping out of our hands to complete our arrangements. So, everyone is just rushing after their works… Do you know a Marriage house seems to be the topmost busiest place… haha…”
“Marriage? I mean you told me only about your engagement, right?”
“Yes, yes… That’s why I have called you. Okay, lemme start… I had my engagement two days back. You know that, right?”
“Hmmm…”
“According to my plan, I was about to go back to Guwahati and continue my job after this ring ceremony – as if two love birds are going to face a lack of love if they are not bound by rings. But my family had surprised me with a plan… Actually a shocking surprise. They had planned mine and Ankur's marriage ceremony a week later, as the dominating boy's family wants that. So, I won't be able to go there to give an invitation to you. Sorry, Jupi. But I know you will come because your di demands your presence. I will send you the invitation card, anyway.”
“I will try my best to fulfill your demand, di. By the way, what about your job? Won't we meet again once you get married?”
“Aaahh… Yes… Once the rituals are over then I will submit my resignation letter. I have already informed my boss. Frankly speaking, though I am excited to marry the love of my life, somewhere I am not okay with the decisions that are forced on me. Anyways, you have to come. I won't accept any excuses.”
“Okay di…And relax… Stressed brides won't look attractive on her big day.”
“Haha… Oh, listen, Jupi. One more thing. I have informed our landlord that I will be leaving the room last week of this month. If she asks you anything then explain to her my situation. Actually, I’m yet to clear my rent for the previous month.”
“Okay di, don’t worry…”
“Hmm… Please mark the date on receiving the card. Take care dear… bye…”
“You too… bye…”
Disconnecting the phone, again I got busy about recapitulating everything. Every time the same questions kept repeating over my mind – What is happening with me and why? How will I solve my problems? I can’t stay with Armaan like this. What will this society think of me? People never try to understand inner situations. They always jump upon someone to judge foremost, questioning one's character.