Chapter 19

“Armaan, why you are loading the car with such a bigger trolley? We are going for just a single night. What are you doing? Will you let me know? You didn’t even give me any chance to check the stacked things. What if, if you have missed out any of my important accessories?" I gabbed but he was busy loading the trolley in the car.
“Baby, c'mon sit inside the car. We are getting late.” He said, opening the rear door for me.
I threw some rays of anger at him through my eyes while heading inside the car. He smirked and adjusted himself beside me. He ordered the driver to start off the car. I turned my gaze away from him, leaning towards the window.
He slipped his hand over mine. Deciding to be adamant, I didn’t turn towards him. He started to play with the fingers and his favorite nails of mine. I chuckled but didn’t bother to turn at him.
“Jupi, we are not going for a single night.” He spoke, politely.
His words triggered a reflex action to twist my neck towards him. “What? What's going on, in your mind? Will you please elaborate,” I  responded, harshly.
“Okay fine… listen… I had visited your landlord three days back. Now, I just hope my plan works and you will be saved from that devil,” He paused and glared at me for a while.
“What? Why? How? I mean…… will my life stabilize again?” I showered my queries as my eliciting waves of euphoria went uncontrollable.
He began to narrate,
“I entered through a white standard gate supported by the stockade fences, protecting the campus. The large lawn of carpet like grasses was crowned with the beautiful irka. Necklaces of various beads of flowering plants enhanced the ornamentation of the campus.
I pressed the calling bell and tried to focus on my aim rather than the surrounding. A lady in the mid-50s opened the door. She had wrapped herself in a cream-colored ‘sutar mekhela chadar' (Assamese dress).
She stared at me through her specs and enquired, “Yes?”
“Is it ‘Rita Devi‘, the landlord? I reverted back.
“Yes, I am Rita Devi.”
“Actually I wanted a rent room, quite urgently.”
“Will it be okay if you get it after a month?”
“Yes sure…”
“Okay then wait a minute.”
She banged the door and walked inside. I couldn’t resist my eyeballs to explore the charming, well-maintained garden. Meanwhile, she arrived with a diary in her hand. She opened the diary, supporting it on one hand and a pen on the other hand.
“Before allotting a room, I record some details of the rent holders,” she uttered, handing over the diary and the pen to me.
The page contained four columns – name, permanent address, occupation, and phone number.
I tried to turn the page but she offended, “Sorry, you can't turn the pages. I don’t reveal anyone's biodata. If you have any query then feel free to ask me.” 
Her words created a barrier on the way of my plan. I slowed down my curving motion of the alphabets, thinking of a way to turn the page. Unexpectedly, she pushed me aside and swept off, screeching, “Choooh…… chooh……” Somehow, I balanced myself and turned around.
What I saw, evoked my regression but that turned on a way towards my luck – a Mumma and a baby goat swallowing the flowers who had entered through the main gate that was being left open by me. Finally, I hurried down some quick clicks of the turned over pages on my mobile.
Like a good boy, I had filled the columns and handed over the diary to her. I apologized to her, “Sorry, for keeping the gate open.”
“Don’t be such a careless guy.” She threw her rude response over me.
Back to my lab, I scrolled down the images, searching for the name “Rohit Rai” And there it was – the number tenth rent holder.
Name: Rohit Rai
Address: Mission Chariali, house no. 23, Tezpur.”
The address gave me a jerk. My eyelids were compelled upward, popping out my eyeballs.
Armaan continued, “Furthermore, the column with contact number was kept blank. Now, I hope, you have understood a bit regarding the link. Isn't it?”
“Isn't it the same road  mentioned in Preety di's wedding card?” I shrieked at him.
He smirked, stretching my hands between his palms.