Chapter 21

The 1 am streets of Misson Chariali were wrapped in silence. The houses’ windows reflected darkness depicting that the owners might have fallen asleep. Some of them lit up their porch ignoring savage of electricity. The streetlights bolstered our eyes to have clear views while strolling under the gloaming sky.  The words of Prity di's mom were echoing in my ears.

First I thought of discussing those with Armaan. But I shrugged off those thoughts because it might lead to unnecessary arguments rather than having any solutions. I have had numerous arguments regarding such topics which always portrayed an evil version of mine. I do believe in sacrifices, without which relations are incomplete. But in some aspects, if the duty of making sacrifices is equalised then I think, a heavenly pair's relation would become more soothing. There will be less complains and finally fewer fights or arguments. Argh…… Alone I can't oppose those historical trends when rest of them are its supporters whether desirably or forcefully – I created a blockage to my thoughts.

Simultaneously, the other half of my mind was occupied by my problems. Infinite questions were growling inside, without a single answer – a few months back, the woman who termed him as a devil, respects him today just because he is no more? Or is she a part of the plan? Besides, why did she said that she knew everything about what's going on with me? Maybe, the death of Rohit is itself a well-planned excuse to save him. Plus, many more questions.

Alas, my overloaded mind spurted out in the form of speeches, “Hey, it means I have not committed any mistake in identifying that pair of eyes. Rohit bhaiya was present in the forest on that day.”

“Hmmm….” He nodded.

I tried to start a conversation but he ended it. Maybe, he was worried too. So, I didn’t utter anything more. I didn’t know what Armaan’s mind was up to. Without enunciating a single word, we reached our room.

“We have to be aware… We will not talk regarding this matter over the streets. We will discuss everything in this locked room. What if, if someone is following us or hearing us. That’s why I didn’t discuss anything while returning,” he justified the reason for his silence on the way.

I nodded. He continued, “Have you noticed one thing? I think we are blaming the wrong person.”

“What do you mean? Rohit is not that devil?”

“If Barsha is speaking the truth then I think, no... Because you think... If Rohit had died that day then who tried to kidnap you from the university campus?”

“Hmm… Yes, you are right. But what about the rent room that is being allotted on his name? Plus, what about Barsha who hated Rohit as hell… Today she behaved so harshly when I denoted Rohit as a devil… Argh…… these chains of questions will burst off my mind now…”

“Don’t know… We have to talk to Barsha tomorrow to fill the bits of this puzzle.”

“Hmm….”

He interrupted, hastily, “We have to meet this Kavyansh anyhow. Even if everyone might be involved in this plan then also we have to take a risk to fight with our instant stepwise plans.”

Both of us freshened up. By 2:30 am we were on the bed, laying with an urge of a new morning that awaited to disclose various answers to our queries.

                        ****

Following the address texted by Barsha, we reached her home.  We stopped in front of the main gate where a nameplate was affixed. The letters ‘Rohit Rai', inscribed on it, froze me. I tilted my head towards Armaan and gulped a lump of fear that was irritating the throat. He opened the gate and signalled me to follow him inside.