chapter 4

Rinisha aunt was shifted to the Antenatal ward, again. She was ready to bring a new life on this Earth after a day or two. Some tests were yet to perform, to explicit her condition. According to the doctor, she was suggested to undergo cesarean delivery due to some circumstances. Whereas, Rohit bhaiya's wife was still in the ICU. She was out of danger, no doubt, but due to placental Previa, the bleeding didn't stop completely. She was also ordered to undergo cesarean delivery as soon as circumstances allow, or else, that might risk the baby's life

             *****

"Hey have one more Armaan," I was offering his favourite sweet, while I was reciting the hospital's story in front of him. "Relax baby! I know you are happy today but it's the fifth one you are offering. This is against my gym rule," he offended.
I hugged him and whispered in his ears, "I don't know why I feel so connected towards him. I feel like robbing him and keeping him with me because I had always craved for a sibling but had none. At least now I have him and somehow, we are blood-related. It's like blood acts as an unseen thread that ties a family together, beyond every negative vibe."
Cuddling me, he murmured, "C'mon strong girl! Today is your big day and you are acting as an emotional lassie. Tell me more, how your classmates reacted? I'm going to prepare coffee for us."

I followed him to the kitchen and told him how excited they were to get a glimpse of the new born's picture after I announced his arrival at home, last night. As soon as our project works ended, I gave a small treat to them in the college canteen.
Armaan interrupted in a teasing tone, "And what about your uncle crush - Rohit bhaiya and his baby?"
I shrugged off and moved out of the kitchen saying, "I don't know. But when my aunt and my brother were discharged from the hospital, I saw his wife and the baby were shifted to the Postnatal Ward. His wife didn't portray a healthy image with a pale face, messy hair, and shine less eyes."

I sat on the living room's couch. He arrived with two coffee mugs and offered me, "Baby, are you lost somewhere? Here's my special hot coffee."
I thanked him and continued discussing my project work. The topic of my project was related to Bioorganic chemistry. So, being a Biochemist and my boyfriend, he was bound to help me.
He is a Research Scholar from DT University who works hard on his projects.

I met this affectionate, caring, and short-tempered guy on a social networking site. When chatting and the planning meetings pulled us towards each other, remained undefined for both of us. Finally, after knowing each other for one year, my shy boyfriend was able to gather some guts to express his heart out.

                *****

23rd October of the last year...

The darkness curtained the sun rays. Tiresome birds were returning home. Those ornamentations with small, shiny, designer and colourful lights were mesmerizing the park. I was strolling with Armaan. Our best time pass was, to scan the passerby and laugh at some of their outfits' combinations. He also used to indicate a group of children and parents describing them as 'happy families'.

The corner of the park which was filled with children is our all-time favourite portion in a park. Children running all around, their enthusiasm filled and melancholy filled chaos echoed in that corner. It felt good to see how a child learns to fly high in a swing, slip anyway and anyhow from a slide, face ups and down in a see-saw. We too rewind our childhood, sitting on the seat, facing that plot of the playground.

But that day he was lost somewhere. He looked nervous. I couldn't resist to ask him, "What happened? Is everything okay?"
Might be somewhere I knew, what the matter was. He tried to reply confidently, "Yes everything is okay... What wrong do you find, by the way?"
I said, smiling creepily, "Hmm... No nothing. You seem to be lost somewhere today."
He broke the eye contact and replied, "No... Nothing like that." He paused for a second and continued, pointing towards a bench, "Can we please sit there?"
The bench was shadowed by a date tree, quite away from the children's corner. I agreed.

We sat on the bench and I felt like being in heaven. The trunk of the date tree was swirled up with twinkling lights. The ground was covered with green grasses.
He uttered, "I love sitting on these grasses. Connecting to nature by touching or staring, relaxes my mind. Plus, today I can touch and stare at nature with a special companion."
I pulled him down to sit on the grasses and murmured, giggling, "Then for what you were waiting for?"
He smiled coyly and babbled, "I thought you would find them dirty or you might not like sitting here..."
I laughed aloud, looking at his expression.

Nearly, five meters apart there was a round-shaped light attached to a rod that reminded me of witch's spiritual ball. That day the light seemed to transmit some power - not spiritual power but an undefined power. That power helped me to notice him. His brown eyes depicted some unsaid words. Yes, I was able to peep into his soul through his eyes. It defined a connection from my side because I was unaware, whether he was able to peep into mine or not. We were sitting on the grass, facing and starring each other.
He forwarded his hand towards mine and begged permission, "Can I hold your hand?"
I don't know why but neither I could resist nor I could utter a single word. I just nodded. Then he directed my hand towards his chest and asked me, "Can you feel my heartbeat". I sensed how his 'lub-dub' beat overlapped.

He opened up his thoughts, "Holding your hand itself fastens my heartbeat. Is there anything I need to explain more in front of you?" Embarrassment didn't allow my eyes to meet his.
He continued, "I have imagined my whole life with you. Will you accompany me forever?"

The truth in his eyes and the pure form of love in his heart blindfolded my conscience. My own rules were binding me back to step ahead to hold his hands forever. Away from the word 'love' I had already constructed my world because I have always been punished by distancing from my loves.
He requested me, "I know what you are up to. Plus, I know how shy you are at expressing. So, let me make it easier for you. Take your hand away from my grip if your answer is a no."

My bindings were pulling me away from his grip but his grip was strong enough to overcome those bindings' forces. I couldn't take my hand away, indicating him yes. He was someone who defined me, the actual meaning of love. I moved beside him and leaned down on his arms.
I asked him, "Can I trust this arm to be the safest place on the Earth?"
He leaned down his head and placed a kiss on my forehead. He whispered, "Yes... I can assure you that."

I headed up to stare at him. His lips curved through his moustache looking at me. The breeze of love was that undefined power, transmitted by that round light. It froze away both - times and surroundings. Suddenly, I could feel a touch. Beards pricked politely on my cheeks and his soft lips were lingering over my face. First, towards my eyes, and then it moved towards my cheeks. Butterflies got triggered in my stomach. Out of nervousness, I turned my face down, so, that his lingering lips don't touch mine.