40 | connect and connection

Franco Castellano had never imagined living in the same house with the two people he used to admire (and envy) from afar

Franco Castellano had never imagined living in the same house with the two people he used to admire (and envy) from afar. It still boggled him how time could change everything. Even his mother—Althea had been nice to him. It was probably because she didn't want to get caught for telling him the truth. They both knew that Francisco Castellano wouldn't approve of it.

He sighed and directed his attention on the screen of his laptop. Callista had prepared a room for him and he hadn't gotten a chance to get out yet. He worked, trying to ignore the burning hole of trepidation in his stomach.

Franco now realized how unsocial he was. Just the thought of talking with Castor, without being rude, had him sweating.

All of his life, he had looked down on others. It was easy especially with the help of his glistening last name. And he had only looked up to one person: his father. The latter was a lot easier because he was scared and he knew that he couldn't disappoint the person who showed him love—or at least his definition of love.

But he had never stood eye to eye with someone before. It was the reason why Castor and Callista's confidence irked him.

Franco pulled off his glasses as he pressed a thumb on his temple. Relationships were far complicated than mathematical theorems and equations.

He heard a knock that his stomach twisted. "Shit."

Caly had her fist poised for another knock before a warm smile appeared on her face. "Hey. Did I disturb you?"

"No," he answered hastily. Franco pushed his hair back. "Is something wrong?"

"We have barbecue. Castor's inviting you," Callista spouted without losing her smile. "And we're gonna watch a movie."

"I'm invited?"

"Yes."

"Oh." Franco's palms felt clammy. "Am I dress okay?"

Callista crossed her arms as she laughed. "Seriously?" Her eyes scanned her form. Pants and a grey sweatshirt. "That's fine."

Franco closed his bedroom door and walked with her. His apprehension remained as they went down the stairs. "Are you sure this is okay?"

"Yeah. Except for the fact that we're gonna watch 'Die Hard'." Callista snorted. "Again."

"What is it about?"

"Oh no. He's gonna enjoy converting you." Caly stopped in the kitchen for a second and grabbed a bottle of barbecue sauce. The girl paused in front of him, looking cozy in her large black hoodie. "You look like you're facing death row. It'll be okay."