26 | rose and roses

Callista bit her lip as she eyed Franco's black long-sleeved shirt and pressed pants

Callista bit her lip as she eyed Franco's black long-sleeved shirt and pressed pants. She took a step forward, unbuttoning the first three buttons.

"How long has it been since you attended a party?" she asked, hiding her amusement as Franco's ears went red.

Caly smiled and curled her arm over his elbow. "Let's go inside."

Mallorie's bar was called Island Roses. Soft white LED bulbs shone from the ceiling as white paper roses lined the red walls. Wooden furniture with black upholsteries scattered around the room. The red and black combination was pleasing to look at.

Callista caught sight of Castor Luciano and his friends on the right corner of the bar. They occupied two sofas opposite each other, giving enough space for a dartboard's throw line.

Castor's back was on her as their laughs echoed inside the bar. Caly smirked when she heard them hollered as Ethan's dart stuck on the wall.

Callista tapped Franco's arm and they headed towards the bar counter were Mallorie was. She was talking to her other customers though her cinnamon eyes lit up when she saw them. "Hey!"

"Mal, how much limit did you give to Cas?" she asked, leaning over the counter. Her little black dress swaying on her knees.

"I said 'just a few'. I didn't give a number," Mallorie replied before she whirled around to mix another drink.

Caly could see the Luciano family's capos that included Vince, PJ, and Marcus. The latter had his own table with Moran Sr. and his son, Dos. Her brow arched at Castor's limited guests. It seemed her best friend wasn't the party boy she used to know anymore.

"Franco, I'll go and probably talk to Vince. Is it okay if you stay here?" She turned to her companion, seeing another frown materialized on his angelic face. "What?"

"I'll go with you," he stated.

"Are you sure?" Caly crossed her arms. "I invited you here to annoy Cas but I wouldn't put you in that hell."

"No. It's okay."

Callista was confused at Franco's desire to socialize with Cas' family but she let it go. She trudged towards the raucous group, PJ looking up at her arrival.

The older blond man beamed at her, eyebrows wiggling as he set his glass on the small table. "Well, if it isn't my star-crossed lover."

Caly chuckled. PJ was the only one who could endure a three-hour Broadway show with her that she started preferring his company when watching plays.

"Hello, Romeo." She scrutinized his fingers seeing the glint of a wedding ring. "I see you failed to wait for me?"

PJ stood up, giving her a short hug. "What? Do you really want a love square?"

Their audience chortled that she rolled her eyes in response. Vince came up to her next, a dart and a shot glass on his hands. "Here, your majesty. It's for our birthday celebrant."