32

"I'm sorry Az, I wasn't enough....." was the last thought in Caden's mind as he waited for Jack to deliver the final blow. He couldn't believe that he was going to die from the hands of the wolf from whom he was trying to protect his mate from, yet he was too weak to defeat the traitorous Alpha that now overpowered him.

He saw glitches of his memories pass by in his thoughts in these moments. He remembered the love of his parents, the respect of his pack and the bond with his mate, a tear escape his eyes at the hopelessness he felt, the fact that he was too weak to even defend himself let alone saving his mate crushed him inside. Now with closed eyes he waited for the final blow...

But that anticipated final blow never came. When Caden opened his eyes, his mouth opened in shock at what he saw. Jack had been pushed over and was groaning a few feet away from him.

"Are you alright?"a calm yet authoritative voice made Caden's head snap towards his right. There before him stood a man who seemed to be in his late twenty's with the body built like a tank, eyes that shone a deep amber mixed with swirling brown and pitch black hair. His aura was a ironic mix between calm and borderline rage.

"Who are you?"Caden found himself wheezing out, after shifting back into his human form.

"I'm Matthew. I was Aziel's trainer back in the day."Matthew said as he handed as he helped Caden get up on his feet.

Caden recognized the name from the tales Az had told him about his childhood, he always spoke of Matthew with great respect and adoration. Caden decided to trust the man who had just saved his life.

"You're Az's mate right, if so then try to focus on the aura that surrounds you, his mark should have awakened your spiritual sense. It's the only way to tackle this monster."Matthew sneered the last words directing them towards Jack who was getting up fuming with anger at the unexpected attack he received.

"Well well if it isn't the lonely Spirit Wolf. You should have stayed where you belonged." Jack mocked as he got up and began unleashing his own aura.

"I should have known it was you all along."Matthew spat as he balled his fist feeling his own blood boiling with an anger that he managed to suppress for almost five years after seeing the horrid scene on that day.

Caden stood there as he watched Jack and Matthew's aura colliding. He did as Matthew had told him and tried to focus on his senses. It was a weird sensation at first but after a few seconds he was able to clearly see the misty pale blue clashing with the dark grayish shadow.

"Cover my back."Matthew whispered to Caden as he began shifting into his wolf. It was a huge light grey wolf with white streaks around the chest and tail.

Caden did as told and changed into his own wolf as he stood besides Matthew crouching into position. He could now feel the aura around him and wasn't sure whether it was because of Matthew or because he learned it in time but he was grateful because he could finally see the dark and ominous shadow that seemed to hung above Jack.

Jack growled with annoyance and anger in his voice as he shifted again into his wolf before charging at them. He sent out the shadow to attack Caden but Matthew was quick to counter it with his own aura.

Caden dodged Jack claws by jumping to his right before he pounced on him again digging his canines into Jack's front leg. Jack threw him off by using his aura but was soon tackled to the ground by Matthew.

Caden recovered from his fall and assessed the battle again. Jack and Matthew were eyeing each other's move all the while sending their aura out. Caden waited a little trying to get some seconds to heal a little better while waiting for an opportunity to strike. Matthew was doing a good job of holding his own against Jack and Caden couldn't be more grateful for his appearance.