12

"Stay here and protect the Packhouse and the kids, if need be." was the words that left Daniel's mouth as he hurried out of the room to assist his pack in fighting back with the rogue attack. It had been ages since the last attack had happened in Durwood City, mainly because of the iron border defense and superior patrols in the pack.

Caden was silently fuming for not being able to help his pack at the moment. He felt pathetic sitting there while his pack members fought to protect them from the Rogues. He was to be the next Alpha and it crushed him to not be able to fight alongside his pack all because he couldn't defend himself against the ambush by three Rogues.

It was then the thought struck him. How did the Rogues even cross the border into the city without getting noticed? And how did they even know I was going to go through that road at that moment? Caden was now lost in his thoughts. He knew something was going on but didn't know what. The only way a Rogue would be able to cross the borders was either if they hid their scent but even then the warriors would have at least seen them. Or someone had messed up in their duty.

"What's bothering you?"Az asked. He could feel the turmoil inside Caden's head.

"I have a feeling this attack was well planned, first there was me getting attacked by three Rogues who entered the border undetected and then there's this attack at the pack borders at the moment where there's the least amount of warriors. But even then how did the Rogues get this information?" Caden questioned with a a crease forming on his forehead.

"Are you saying there might be a traitor in the pack.?"Heinz asked after careful consideration of the situation.

"But why would someone do such a thing."Amy added frustrated by the thought.

"I am not saying that there is a traitor but I am not ruling out the possibility yet. But who would put the whole pack in danger this way, it doesn't make sense." Caden said as he rubbed his hands together.

Az sat there silent feeling like it was all his fault. He knew about the dangers that came with being a Spirit Wolf, he was convinced that the previous attack on the Blackwood Pack was because of him. Now the Durwood pack was being attacked after he had moved in the city. It all seemed to point his fault behind all the mess the Durwood pack was facing now.

"All the kids and non warriors have been guided to the safe house or are under the protection of warriors." A warrior of the pack informed Caden through the mind-link. It may have been a small attack but he didn't want to take any risk when his pack, his family was concerned.

'Alright, stay cautious and alert until my dad returns." Caden commanded back.

"Dad how's the situation?"Caden mind-linked his dad in hopes to ease his worries.

"There are more Rogues then we anticipated and they seem well coordinated but we have it under control." Daniel hurriedly relied back.

"Guys did you hear that?" Amy whisper-shouted as she strained her ears to listen closer, and she was right, the sound came from the left of the pack-house.

"It sounds like a muffled scream."Heinz said as he tensed in his seat.

"Let's go check it out." Caden said as he got up to check what the noise was about.

Az stood along with them but Caden pushed him back down on his seat.

"You can't come Az if there's a Rogue out there it'll be dangerous."

Az wanted to protest that he knew how to fight and that he could help them but that meant revealing himself something he was not willing to do just yet. And if the rogues were actually after him it would mean they would get what they came for.