T W E N T Y - T H R E E

How much sorrow can I take?

***
The white walls and stillness of the hospital increased their dread. They all love Sherbano.

Alamgir was praying overzealously for the life of his Gudiya (doll). She has been the apple of his and his wife's eyes ever since her birth. Now looking at her like this is making him bored tears of agony. A father for his daughter can go to great lengths be it life or death. Alamgir is the kind of man who had always held his head up with pride was now sitting with slumped shoulders and teary eyes. He could not bear to lose the only living image of his wife. The reason she had always been his favorite was that Sherbano had her mother's features and his eyes. His heart ached with melancholy thinking about the incessant 'what ifs'.

After some time the doctor came out, his face devoid of emotions.

"Are you the family of the patient named Sherbano Bakhtiyar?"

"Yes, we are. Doctor, can you let us in on the condition of her?" Shahmeer asked, hoping for good news.

"Well, she is stable for now but will be kept under observation for a few days. I would suggest to keep her away from any sort of stress and worry." Saying this he moved away.

The shukrans (thank you) filled the silence and a few tears managed to escape Alamgir's eyes.

Yousuf decided to stay here and let others go home. He had seen the tiredness on everyone's face after knowing everything was okay. Soon enough Shahmeer took everyone back.

Yusra who had still not slept a wink heard the opening of the door and went to see if her prayers had been answered or not. She brought water for everyone and then proceeded to ask. The males were sitting on the sofa tired and gazed softly at the two women sleeping in the comfort of each other's arms. Shahmeer's eyes soften seeing the way his wife had a protective arm around Maha and how she let her sleep with her head in her lap. After all, no one here can understand the pain or fear of losing one's parent more than her. His heart clenched knowing how this had brought back memories she had rather hoped to forget.

Alamgir and Zidan sent a prayer heavenwards to be blessed with such amazing daughters-in-law. They were the daughters of this house as well. Yusra with angst opened her mouth and uttered her question.

"How is Bano Phupho?" Her eyes watering when images of her being lifeless entered the abyss of her mind.

"Allah is merciful, he saved her before anything could happen." Wahaj replied thanking the almighty a million times.