T W E N T Y - O N E

یہ پیار لکھے کیسی کیسی داستاں

***

Syra was aware of the gaze that was focused on her. The gaze was doing things, illicit things to her. Her toes curled in the khussa she was wearing. Back a little straight. Her hands, which were busy cutting the vegetables trembling. The gaze was lawful yet felt so unlawful to her. She had never felt this before. Never before.

The air with petrichor smelled heavenly to him. Shahmeer was gazing at her intensely, he knew how what he was doing to her and he was enjoying it. He noticed everything that was taking place around and with her. The way she trembled with the way she straightened her posture, everything.

Everyone was busy, the males apart from him were out and the females were at the terrace. Enjoying the weather. Syra forced everyone to let her make lunch today. So she was in the kitchen busy making lunch while he was the one disturbing her with his gaze.

Shahmeer tiptoed his way towards her and draped his hands around her waist. She stiffened and he stifled a smile.

"Kya hua?" His voice was husky and laced with mischief.

(what happened?)

"K-kuch bhi toh nahi". She stuttered and tried to wiggle out of his hold.

"Ahan, aise nahi jaane doonga", he said.

(Ahan, I won't let you go like this)

Syra couldn't say anything and so stopped wiggling. Resuming with the work at hand. He was a nuisance for her at the time but she liked the way his arms felt around her. The comfort that came from his arms was her favorite. At some point in life, the idea of being in love with him was far fetched and something that she should not waste her time over, and now the same idea is the only thing that brings solace to her in times of need.

Maha felt her body dancing with the way the weather around her was, drunk. The atmosphere felt intoxicated and she felt dizzy -the kind where nothing else but her and the clouds mattered- a few minutes after rain.

It was still drizzling. The downpour of rain had come and gone like her emotions. Leaving the petrichor and heartache. The drugging feeling of air and her dull, aching pain was enough to leave anyone dazed.

'Does love feels as if we are in a constant spiral of intoxication? Always drunk, always dizzy and always whirling in the thoughts of our lover'.

The incessant presence of what-ifs, ruining whatever hopes she brewed about him. They were scaring her to the point where she was unable to breathe properly. The perpetual thought of him being in love with someone else causing an unfamiliar ache in her heart.

'Oh, how wonderfully awful can love, make one feel? Bewildered and flustered. Both at the same time'.

The insanity of her feelings had her anticipating the kind of heartbreak she had never before felt. The one where everything turns grey, the pain a constant reminder and heart shattered yet beating, mind numb and cold, body depressed and apathetic. But still, Maha knew how to smile even in the darkest of days and so a mere heartbreak would never leave her to be someone that could potentially hurt her family.