T W E N T Y - T W O

کاموشی تم سمجھو گے نہیں اور بیاں ہم سے ہوگا نہیں۔

***

His whole being shuddered as he looked at him, no one knew what had conspired between them, not one soul, apart from Shahmeer and him. He had managed to avoid that part of his for years and now it seems it was catching up with him, trying to trap him back where he was ages ago, abandoned, alone, abused. Who would have thought a child like him would ever be abused?

Syra saw the dread and horror on his face, the same horror she had seen that night. There was pain, anger, anguish, and so much more. Nothing could ever be the same, for his look scared the soul residing in her. 'What secret is he hiding? Is his secret so devastating that the fearless man I know is terrified to even move?'

Some secrets are devastating and terrifying, he knew that his secret would break the thread holding this family together. How he wished to have never lived that nightmare. 'Some pains are for forever', despite all the feeling of fear Shahmeer knew he has to face his nightmare and win the battle.

Slowly he sneaked out of the living room where everyone and he was. He hadn't seen him yet and Shahmeer wants to keep it that way. Syra excused herself as soon as she saw him going away. 'What is it? Why is it so hard to reach him?' since the day she had realized her love for him, she had been trying to understand ways to approach him. With apprehension, she moved and went towards the terrace where she knew he would be. She can always find him there. Always.

He was on the terrace -staring and gazing into space- it was his safe place and Syra was his safe haven.

"You have a pain hidden beneath all of it, all the happiness." He heard her voice.

"I don't". His voice was cold and distant.

She moved closer to him, standing I front of him too close, almost touching her nose with his. She stared deep in his eyes; observing him, and said,

"You do".

She put her hand over his heart and looked in his eyes, a smile constant on her face. The smile was devoid of happiness.

"Put your hand over mine and feel your heartbeat". He did what she told him to do and tried to feel it.

"Press it, tight. Can you feel it?" He nodded, unable to depict a word.

"Can you feel it beating? It is beating, but can you feel it beating and living? Is it alive? Or is it just a shell of a man whose heart is just thudding? Do you feel the dead beats of your heart? Do you feel the soulless heart of yours? You have a pain hidden deep beneath you and no matter how much you try and hide it, I can always feel it in your face. That smile of yours, your eyes. I can feel it oozing out of you". Her eyes held pain and her lips still curved upward in a smile.

He stared at her and snatched his hand away from hers, eyes brimming with unshed tears. The tears stayed welled in his eyes, not one drop dared to fall on his cheek. Afraid that if they fell the man who pretended to be so strong and tough would fall apart in a way that shows no mercy.