Chapter 28: The Herbivicus Charm

“Okay, fifth years,” the herbology teacher, Professor Kadita, called out to her students. The whole class is currently in the greenhouse. They can see the snow falling from the inside. All of them are sitting in two rows at one long table, wearing their own beige uniform for herbology. “Our lesson for today is about Herbivicus Charm.”

Lesley took a glance at Gusion, which caught the latter’s attention and made him smile, making her look away and blush. Granger sat beside his best friend as always.

“Can anyone tell me what is a Herbivicus Charm, for those who studied in advance?” professor asked.

Everyone in the class began to whisper amongst themselves, hoping to get the answer from their fellow seatmates while at the same time avoided to make eye contact with the professor so that they won’t get called. After a few more seconds of no one daring to answer the question, Guinevere raised her right hand and stood up when the professor told her so. Everyone looked at her.

“The Herbivicus Charm,” she stated, “is used to rapidly increase the growth rate of plants and cause flowers to bloom. Upon casting, a twisting jet of brilliant light would shoot from the wa–“

“Very good, Ms. Baroque,” Kadita cut her off. Guinevere frowned at the sudden interruption of her professor. “Thank you for your answer. I want to give a chance to the other students. Is there anyone else that would like to tell us more about the charm? What about the stronger ones?”

With that question, Lesley wanted to raise her hand, but she was to shy to do so. Granger saw the anxious look on her face and tried to comfort her. On the other side of the table, Gusion also knew the answer to the question and tried to raise his hand. He remembered the answer when one time after his date with Lesley, he studied the lesson in advance because he was motivated.

Kadita repeated the question yet once again everyone in the class remained silent, some of them just staring at the plants. Suddenly,

“The Herbivicus Duo,” both Lesley and Gusion spitted the answer without raising their hands. They looked at each other with faint surprise in their eyes.

They both spoke at the same time again, “It is the stronger version of the charm.”

They were so embarrassed that all they can do is cover their face with their hands to hide their reddened faces. Fanny and Freya covered their mouths to muffle their giggles until Kadita shushed them. Lesley sighed and sneaked a glance at Gusion, who in turn gave her a smirk in reply. He stopped once his friends looked at him. Guinevere, however, was not at all amused about it at all.

“Okay everyone,” Kadita took a deep breath. “Since our lesson for today is about the Herbivicus Charm, we are going to be casting it at these baby peppermints in front of you. Don’t worry guys, the greenhouse is warm enough to keep the plants alive during winter season.”

After the little orientation, everyone placed their own pot of peppermint sprout on the table.

“But peppermint is a potion ingredient, right?” Lesley asked. The whole class was looking at her now. “I-it is used to flavor foodstuffs.”

Kadita went closer to where Lesley was.

“Yes, Ms. Vance.” She kept a serious but friendly face. “Thank you for your information about peppermints, but remember that you are in herbology class, not in potions class. Okay?”

Lesley nodded. Kadita went back where she stood a while ago. Granger laughed a bit at Lesley, making her frown and slap his shoulder.

“Not funny, Granger,” Lesley was slightly irritated. Gusion gave a smirk when his ‘Lesmione’ slapped Granger.