Chapter 40

Junaid's POV

Moments before

When we caught Mad Dog and settled the Nikah, I finally thought everything would go back to normal. Back to how it used to be twelve years ago. We would catch Mad Dog and go on with our lives just like any other normal citizen out there. It wasn't even for my own sake, but for the people that I love and call family. Especially now, for my wife-to-be. She gave me the strength and the will to want to end it once and for all. I knew I had to do this for her or else how would I be able to make her happy if she would constantly be living in fear? I gave up on joining the NCA a couple of years back and decided to make my own company because I knew the law would not always be enough to catch such bad people. Sometimes the law only makes things worse and increases our pain instead of relieving it. So I decided to do things my way. I would gain the power and be able to catch those people who killed my parents and tried to kill the one's who raised me as well. At some point, I had given up, but the day Afrah joined the company, I knew that was a sign to carry on and not waste all these years of trying to regain our peace of mind.

"Assad, Assad I found it." I hear Marcus call me, waking me up from my thoughts. "His father used to be in a well-known gang back in the nineties and he was his father's only son, which means his father probably passed the leadership onto him. His father's name also matches with the information we found on the pen drive." Marcus shows me the old newspapers from back in the nineties, "Congratulations, you and Thomas were right. Wesley is involved with these gangs."

"It's nothing to be happy about. If I'm right then that means Afrah could be in danger right now." I immediately grab my phone to call Afrah but as expected there's no response. I really hope it's because she's still in the meeting and not because she's in danger. "Call Samuel and find out where Afrah is. I'll call Ismail to see if he found out anything." I tell Marcus and he soon leaves my office as I call Ismail.

"I'm at work, call me later." Ismail says with the same tone he always uses to talk to me ever since we settled the Nikah with Afrah.

"Shut up and listen. Did you read the letter that Mad Dog left before the attempted suicide?" I ask and he sighs.

"I forgot, I had a lot to do. I'll read it now."

"I think Afrah is in danger."

"I know she is."

"Not that. If it's actually what I'm thinking then I'm sure all those agents and officers won't be able to protect her. Mr Wesley is smart, he will come up with a way_"

"Wait, wait, wait. Who?" He interrupts me and I hear paper noise.

"Mr Wesley. His father was the leader of a drug-dealing gang back in the 1940s to 2000s, and Mr Wesley was the only child which means the leadership was probably passed on to him."

"What was his father's surname?"

"Scott."

"She's in danger!" I hear Ismail's desperate tone, immediately transferring the same state to me.

"What did you find out?"

"It's him. Mr Wesley is the one behind all these gangs." He explains and hangs up. I knew he was going to call Afrah but I couldn't stop myself from calling her as well. I lost the count of how many times I had called her but I was now trying to locate her cell phone before Marcus decided to enter the room.

"Samuel is at the company waiting for her, but the cars that followed her to the meeting said that she just finished now and is on her way back with Mr Wesley. They are following them, so there's nothing to worry about." Marcus says, relieving a few of my nerves, however, something still feels wrong in my mind.