Chapter 23

Afrah's POV

After spending Saturday with Junaid's mother, I spent my Sunday all alone at home trying to write my resignation letter. I think the best for both me and Junaid is that I quit the job, or else things will stay awkward as long as I continue working there.
Everything in my mind was so clear during the weekend but now that I am right here at work, I can't do it. I know he'll think I'm being childish and being unable to differentiate the personal from the professional, but resigning was the only choice I came across that would benefit both of us.

"Good morning, boss." I hear Nicole say and I lift my head up to see Junaid coming. I quickly look back down and pretend to be filling in some papers. The moment I hear him close his door, I put my hand on my chest and take a deep breath. Resigning is definitely the best choice. I'll keep reacting this way if I continue working here.

"Can you make Junaid's coffee, I'm busy right now," I ask Nicole.

"Sure, you know I haven't got a problem with that." She offers me a smile and leaves to the coffee machine.

"Here's his schedule for the morning." I hand her the Ipad when she returns.

"Isn't the schedule your thing?" She questions while taking the Ipad.

"Um... it doesn't really matter. I already put it all in order, just read it to him." I answer and go back to filling in the papers without minding her eyes on me.

The morning went well as I did not cross paths with Junaid a single time, except when he arrived. I'm the one making this a big deal, he doesn't seem to be the least intimidated. Either he doesn't really care, or he is a great actor.

"Earth to Afrah." I see Samuel click his fingers in front of me.

"Hmm, what happened?" I look at him.

"What were you thinking about?" He asks with a smile.

"Nothing much."

"She's been like this all morning." Nicole points out before taking a sip out of her coffee.

"I'm fine, seriously." I smile when I notice Samuel's concerned expression.

"It's got to do with Mr Junaid, doesn't it?" Nicole continues, ignoring what I previously said.

"What? Why do you say that? Of course not." I pretend a confused expression.

"Should I ask him, then?" Nicole looks behind me, "Hey, boss," She calls and I quickly look back to then hear her laugh when I notice there's nobody behind me.

I look at her in annoyance, "I'm leaving now." I let Samuel know before getting up.

"You still have time." He looks at his watch.

"I got a lot to do. I don't want to waste any time." I say and he nods.

"I'll see you at the end of the day." He smiles before I leave.

I get to my desk and grab my resignation letter thinking whether I should really give it in or not? I only came today for this, but I can't seem to gain the courage to give it in.

"What's that?" I hear Nicole and find her right next to me.

"It's_" Before I could finish, she grabs it from my hand.

"A resignation letter?... Are you quitting? What happened, is it too much for you?" She laughs and tries to open the letter but I take it from her.

"It's none of your business." I look at her in annoyance and put the letter inside my drawer.

"Hey, boss," I hear Nicole say and look up to see Junaid. I'm hoping he didn't hear her but I've got my doubts because right now he's looking at me.