Chapter 16

Afrah's POV

"Call me when you finish work, I will come to pick you up." My brother says when we arrive at my workplace.

"You don't need to."

"I would feel more at ease if I did. Now go. Assalamualeikum."

"Waaleikumum Salam." I leave the car and make my way inside the building.
Martina wasn't there. She hasn't been coming for a few days already. I wonder what's happening, I should call her later.

"Good Morning, miss Zayan," I was surprised by a man at the receptionist.

"When did you get there?" I place my hand on my chest trying to catch my breath.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Should I get you some water?" He kindly asks.

"No. I'm good. What are you doing there?"

"I'm the new receptionist. Samuel Larson. You can call me Samuel." He walks to me with a friendly smile.

"New receptionist? What about Martina?" I think out loud to myself.

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm Afrah Zayan. You can call me Afrah." I try a small smile.

"Nice to meet you. It's a pleasure to work with such a beautiful lady," He smiles once again.

He was tall. When I say tall, I mean it. Because I'm not that short either. But he was way taller than me. He was dark-skinned with short black curly hair. I can't deny that he is exceptionally handsome, especially with his strong jawline.

"How did you know my name? You called me Miss Zayan earlier?"

"Well, Mr Junaid let me know of all employees, and since I am good with names I could remember yours as soon as I saw you. Mr Junaid told me I could ask you for any help that I may need, is that right?"

"Um, I mean yes, sure." I smile back since he wouldn't stop smiling, "Anything you need, you can ask me. I need to go now. Will see you later."

"Sure," He nods and I walk away as he just watches me.

Why would Junaid suddenly hire somebody new? - I think to myself.

As I reach upstairs I am surprised to see another desk right next to mine. I approach the desk to see a picture frame of a woman in a really inappropriate swimwear.

Who the heck?!?

"Oh, hello, darling," I hear a female voice behind me and turn to see the same woman in the photo earlier, except in person this time. "You must be Afrah, right? Nice to meet you, I am Nicole Jones. I will be assisting you in your work. Anything you need, ask me." She extends me her hand but I just look at her in confusion. "Oh, yes, Junaid explained to me that you didn't know about me. Anyways, now you do. I hope we will be able to be best friends. I love work friendship and even more work romance. Isn't it exciting to have somebody you can open up to at work? I just believe it's less boring that way." She holds my hand and locks it with hers to shake hands.

Is this for real?!

"Now, I would like to hear your beautiful voice. What work do we have for today?" She sits down with her coffee. "Oh, don't I look sexy here?" She shows me the picture frame of her in the swimwear.

She was light-skinned, about my height or a little taller, and had long-straight red hair.

"Sexy?!?" I was beyond surprised now, "Where did Junaid find her?" I think out loud and she bursts out laughing.