Chapter 38

Afrah's POV

I arrive home after eating out with Nicole and find my brother in front of the door, about to leave the house.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Work. I just came for a change of clothes, I might have to stay there until the day after tomorrow."

"Why?"

"Mad Dog_"

"Did he finally say something?"

"No. He tried to commit suicide. One of the guards saw him at night hanging on a rope. We need to keep watch on him 24/7, at least until we come to the reason why he tried to kill himself." My brother explains and my face went into complete shock.

"What do you think caused that?"

"He called a couple of people yesterday and we suspect that one of the callers said something that upset him. We're trying to find out who they were, but the problem is that there's one number that we can't reach."

"Do you guys think that's the one behind the whole gang?" I ask and he nods.

"Why did you take so long? You were supposed to have been done two hours ago," He looks at the time on his wristwatch.

"I went to eat out with Nicole," I tell part of the truth. "Can we talk?"

"I'm a little late for work,"

"Why have you been avoiding me lately? In a week you won't be seeing me around here that often anymore. You can avoid me then, but talk to me now," I hold his hand and force him to walk to the couch with me, "What's bothering you?"

"I'm just worried about you," He sighs.

"Why?"

"Are you happy with this marriage?"

"Ismail, I couldn't be happier." I give him a reassuring smile.

"Then that's what matters,"

"Stop overthinking and just be happy for me. Of course one day I would be leaving you. You can't expect me to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Why not?" He asks playfully and I smile, pulling him for a hug.

"I still love you the same and I'm still forever grateful to you for everything you did. You were a wonderful father." I joke and he only hugs me tighter. But to be honest, he was like the father-figure in my life.

After that emotional moment, my brother left to work. I am left alone in the house and I take the opportunity to explore the house for the last time. I lived here for only three years but I got too attached to it. It's not really the house but the people. I can't imagine leaving to another house where my brother isn't there, or even Aidah and baby Malik, I will miss both of them as well.

***

"Are you going to eat out?" Carol asks when I reach the reception on my way out for lunch.

"Oh, I have to head somewhere, first."

"Sure, just don't forget you have a meeting with Mr Wesley, after lunch."

"I will be back on time, don't worry." I give her a smile before leaving.

On my way to Junaid's house, I wonder what is it that he wants to tell both me and my brother. He called us last minute and asked us to meet him at his house. It must be serious since he didn't even wait for me to finish work.

"Assalamualeikum, Ms Aminah." I greet when she opens the door for me.

"Waaleikumu Salam, my love. Come in." She rolls her wheelchair back, to allow me space. "You disappeared ever since you went back to your brother's house."