.:: Lost Paradise {5} ::. Ben (A Painful Departure)

It was windy morning. Cloudy and cool. It felt nice to just stay in the cold water and feel the breeze tickling your skin that day.

Although the feeling is tranquil, I knew something was wrong.

We fell asleep on the hill where we confessed to each other. As I woke up, my throat then began to scream for water and my legs felt weak. I need to get back to the ocean. I've been on land for too long.

I hurriedly began to stand, my legs starting to lose its sense of movement. I turn to my right but only see Ben's blanket crumpled on the grass.

Did he leave already?

I run to the beach, not wanting to find out just yet. I go down the hill and past tall trees. The moment my eyes see the water, my legs run even faster. Finally touching the sand, I go on my knees and got in, my tail forming back and suddenly feeling much better.

My dress was now wet from head to toe. My hair soaking, messy. I slowly began to take off the pin, my fingers finding it through my hair when suddenly my eyes lay north.

There, in a distance, I see Ben's sailboat. It sailed away.

No..

"Ben?" I muttered, my fingers now hurrying to take off my pin. Finally, I have it and I began to swim.

Suddenly, a sharp pain pierces me at my waist, causing me to stagger back. I place my arm, the pain still going on, preventing me to move my tail. Being on land too long must have weaken me so much that it prevented me from swimming. I watch the boat growing smaller.

"Ben!" I shouted, crying. I sat on the sand by the shore, half of my body in the water.

I cried and cried, the pain in my waist making it all worse. The sea crashed on my body, carrying my tears. I stared painfully on the ripples caused by his boat. Rain began to pour.

The tranquil morning I woke up to is washed away like my tears on the beach. The sky darkens and rain washes away the grass and sand on my hair.

Why couldn't he just say goodbye one last time? Why did he have to leave me all alone again like before?

I cried there even until the sun set, even when the rain stopped. I refused to eat, my tears falling endlessly. Memories of him flooded my mind, twisting and slamming my heart to the ground. I gripped and hugged the blanket, the only piece he left behind. I called out his name several times, only to be answered by the wind and water. I look down on the crumpled blanket.

It hurts to see someone you could be your true self leave. It hurts to watch the person you shared your first love go, like it wasn't meant to be. This love we kept was an open wound left untreated, getting worse day by day, yet we endured that pain simply because we wanted each other's time and company. 

As night fell that day, the water around me glowed. The blue light shining on my face, surrounding the island. Mermen nearby would gasp at the sight of the magical waters as I buried my face in his blanket. 

It was so beautiful. Ben would have liked it.

"I'm Ben"

"You really are a mermaid."

"You have a bubbly laugh. It's very beautiful."

"You're the only person who's never really pushed me away."

"I've never met a friend like you."

"I'll miss you, Pam."

"Never. I'll never forget you."