.:: Lost Paradise {3} ::. Ben (Part I)

"Ben?" I repeated, reaching over to shake his hand.

It was cold yet soft. He must have had a really rough voyage.

Ben nodded, his soaked hair splashing tiny droplets of saltwater into my face. He stares at me silently as if he waited for something.

I then realized. "Oh! My name is Pamela."

Ben smiles, it was a very soft smile. He didn't show his teeth and his lips lifted into a smile only he can own.

He rests his hands on his hips, his shirt completely wet and his shorts and slippers. I look up to his eyes, my face warming up. Why?

"I suppose you're just human," he mutters loud enough for me to hear.

"Human?" I repeated.

All I did that day was repeat everything he said.

He chuckles, then smiles apologetically, "Sorry. I actually came in here to find mermaids. You said Horo Dom, correct? I've never heard of that in the books. Are there other people here?"

I was in another dilemma at that moment. I had battling thoughts. I was very lonely, at that age. I had no friends and I didn't have the status of Captain yet. I was merely just a young warrior in training.

To even talk to humans was already breaking our laws. But I didn't think so much when I met Ben. I just immediately answered him, "But there are mermaids."

He froze, turning back at me after scanning the forest. "There are?" his eyes were full of hope.

I nodded. I tried to let go of the words I wanted to say.

"I-"

My fingers shook behind me, my conscience giving up.

"I'm a mermaid," I finally said.

I look up at Ben, not as surprised as I expected him to be. He looks at me from head to...toe.

"But you have legs," Ben said.

Suddenly, I began to hear splashing. I glance behind Ben to find a group of mermen, busy chatting but swimming towards the sailboat.

I quickly grab Ben's arm and pull him to the forest.

"Hey-"

I clasp his mouth shut as we hid behind some trees, my eyes focusing on the mermen.

One of them spots the sailboat and immediately swims to it, alarming the others. Ben gasps behind my hand. They began to inspect the boat, one of which jumps up inside.

His tail begins to fade in a blue glow and transforms into legs. Ben gasps again. I felt him turn his head towards me.

I put down my hand from his face, allowing him to speak.

"I never knew mermaids could do that," he whispers in disbelief and shock.

"We can only do it for a short while," I shared in a hushed tone. "Eventually we would need to go back to the water."

He nods silently. I could feel both our hearts beating rapidly. The sight of the mermen inspecting the ship and their very existence is making us shiver down to the spine.

One of them commands the rest to descend, they're off to report it to their Captain, my mother.

Ben will be in trouble, but I will get even more.

As soon as they left, we heaved in a sigh of relief, still saying hidden in the thick green forest. I sit down, trying to calm my nerves. Ben does the same, sitting across me.