Chp. 6

Khael

"Sir Khael?"

I turned over to find a old lady glancing back at me. Her hair and the faint wrinkles on her face told me she was worthy of my respect.

When she succeeded in obtaining my attention, she spoke carefully.

"I know it is not my place to be saying this to you but I'm afraid Lady Lilith will never be able to say it herself."

"Go on."

"I've spent years watching over her and more than any of her family members. She may act on her own without the help of others simply because it feels like a burden. She's known nothing beyond these walls..So please be gentle and patient with her. I only want the best for our lady."

How bold of her to be speaking of Lilith this way to me.

But the fact that she was dared to speak out to me for Lilith proved that she was sincere.

What exactly is she refering to?

It made me wonder how Lilith's life was like in this place. It just didn't feel right that a girl like her would be so afraid and timid at a place like this.

"What is your name?"

"Laurdes. Laurdes Farlane."

She slightly bowed her head in my presence.

"Laurdes..I appreciate your words. But I assure you, there's no need for your worries. She'll be a mature lady, fulfilling the name of the Pensingtons".

I won't let anyone or anything degrade Lilith or the name of the Pensingtons. I was aware of those filthy gossips in town when the news spread of her marrying me. But now those same people were different after our victory. I would show them.

I can't bear to think of what Lilith had to endure in those 3 years of my absence. Alone.

I would make her my queen. My beloved, Lilith. Anything that harms her will perish in my hands.

Lilith

You would assume farewells to last longer but mine was rather quick. My father and my sisters reminded me not to forget them and hinted for the share of gifts Khael was showered with. The party invitations at the castle was of great importance to my sisters. They believed their fate and their long awaited lovers would be waiting there.

Laurdes didn't ask for anything. She gave such warm words and seemed concerned. But I assured her I would be fine. I would be surrounded with people of good hearts. A great blessing.

With that and a few waves, the carriage rumbled its way away. It felt strange.

I had always wanted to escape from this place. But now that I was finally being taken away, there was nothing particular I felt. My horrible life had simply ended like that. My new life with Khael, my husband, would start.

I looked over at him who remained silent and stared out towards the passing fields. He was a strange man that rescued an ordinary girl like me.

What kind of life was he expecting to have with me?

"You'll burn a hole onto my face looking at me that way."

I was flustered at his words. It was only then I realized how long I had been staring at him. I didn't think he would notice from our distance. We were sitting farthest from each other and his mind seemed occupied.

"I-I was not staring at all. I was looking..outside."

What an excuse. It was embarassing when there was clearly an open window beside me.