Chp. 27

Naibi

I stared at the herb intently. It had an odd scent but nothing peculiar about it. It appeared harmless. I've only heard of its effects but never used it on anyone. All I needed was to get rid of her child but there was a possibility it would leave Lilith permanently infertile.

But that didn't concern me. It was all on her lack of luck.

"Um..Naibi? Do we have to go this far. I thought we would just hand her over to Nakoa. The child has nothing to do with any of this."

I glanced back at her. She was starting to get on my nerves with these questions.

"Of course this is necessary. Do you know what all of this means to me?"

"But no one even knows about the child.."

"That's more of a reason why we need to continue it."

The girl still had a look of concern on her face.

"What are you afraid of? Even if Khael was to find out about his child, we have nothing to do with this. Well, that's only if we finish this before he arrives."

Lilith

I stared at the letter I wrote, hesitating to seal it. It was a letter to Laurdes. It's been a few weeks since I left Roem and I haven't heard from her since. I wanted to hear back from her that she was doing well but at the same time it felt unecessary.

Would it ever even reach her? After all, I was gone now and father would no longer harm those I love. Still...

I sealed the envelope and pushed past the drapes to head towards the gates. There were few men up in front of the gates and up on the guard posts but the messenger wasn't there.

As I walked back uphill, I noticed a familiar figure by the horse stalls. I drew closer in curiosity and it happened to be one of the messengers I've met before. It was the guy that delivered King Brennus' letter.

His attention shifted away from his horse from the sound of my footsteps. I noticed his hair was now a bit shorter and reached above his shoulders. The ends of his hair curled behind his ear, revealing the gold serpent wrapped around it. His sharp features and those grey eyes of his seemed to pierce through me.

He had facial features women would envy but at the same time his muscular, lean form cleary defined him as a man. His aura was a bit different from what I felt from the others. More approachable should I say.

I held the letter close to my chest as he turned to face me. He lowered his head at my presence.

"Good e-evening."

He smiled at my greeting.

"Good evening, Lady Lilith."

Approachable or not, it seemed I still had trouble completing my sentences. His eyes shifted to the letter in my hands and thankfully he asked if I needed help with anything first.

"Do you need a letter delivered?"

"Oh..y-yes if you don't mind. It's for Laurdes, my nanny."

He took it and placed it safely inside his breast pocket.

"I'll make sure to have it delivered as soon as possible."

"U-um I never got to a-ask for your name."

"My apologies. My name's Ruel."

"T-Thank you..Ruel."

My eyes widened and I gasped at the sudden pull on my sleeves. I looked aside and saw the large horse sniffing me.