Chp. 28

Khael

After days of travelling on the road we were finally back at Draylum again. The night before, I didn't get a wink of sleep at the thought of seeing Lilith again. But there were a mixture of emotions within me. While I wanted to see her, I knew it would be difficult to face her. I was no longer oblivious of her past.

"What in the world.."

"Hey we got visitors."

I looked up ahead to see what the others were talking about. As we approached the gates, there was a large group of men that made it before us. By the looks of it, they weren't friendly vistors. They were all armed and had their swords against our men.

"C-Chief Khael."

One of the guards rushed towards us and almost fell on his way. I was able to see the relief in his face.

"What's all this commotion about.."

I looked at the one culpable behind all this. He drew his sword away from Ruel and turned to face our direction.

"They're from the mountain tribes of Chief Nodin. They have no identification but they've been demanding entry past our gates."

"No, it's all a misunderstanding. You see..we've come all this way to deliver gifts for your victories. It's ridiculous to have us return like this."

He tried to justify his actions without mentioning the faults in their own hands. Lucan went to check the carriage they claimed were filled with gifts. He removed the covers to examine them thoroughly and scoffed.

"These are from a nearby village. Looks like they were trying to rob us next right in front us."

"They're thieves."

One of ours seethed in anger. And the mere thought that these low scoundrels dared to step foot on our land to steal from us had me boiling. I would never allow anyone to look down on me or my people again. At times like this, I needed to show what would be done to those that ever did trample on our name.

"You dare to step on my land and garner your swords against our men. You must have a death wish."

His eyes wavered at the tone of my voice.

"It was not our plan to harm anyone. Just let us go."

"Let you go? I won't be satisfied until I have your heads hanging on our posts."

"Y-You can't possibly be serious. It'll only make matters worse. I've mentioned before it's only a misunderstanding!"

I had him look around.

"A misunderstanding you say..while you have our men threatened under your swords. Surely this was what you were expecting the moment you stepped foot here..is it not? You've asked and this is my answer!

He clenched onto his teeth while he gripped onto his weapon. The others trembled and their heads looked about. They were surrounded and outnumbered. I was amused by the look on their faces and it had me chuckle.

"You dare try to make a laughingstock out of me. Not a single one of these rats will escape is that understood!"

They held their weapons even as they knew it was hopeless. It irritated me that I had to return to something like this.

"Chief Khael."

"What!"

I turned back furiously at Ruel's interruption.

"I believe it's best to handle this matter through negotiation and compensation. This will only put unnecessary blood on our hands."

I gritted my teeth in anger.