Chapter 18 - Gray

"What ...", Serena said completely confused and couldn't take her eyes off the body in front of her. How was that possible? The farm workers had come out of this room a few seconds ago. Did they kill him? But that would never have happened so silently. Serena also wondered why these people should kill their own supervisor. Nothing made sense to her. How did this come about?

One thing was certain, however: Someone had gotten here before Serena and had done her work for her. It was strange that she suddenly got mad at this person, even though he had killed exactly the person she had wanted to see dead.

But not like that, it screamed in her head! She had wanted to see his frightened face and body tremble with fear. How should she be able to satisfy her thirst for revenge in this state? It almost seemed to her that Erchyll had escaped. As if he had fled to exactly where he was safe from her anger and revenge: The realm of the dead.

It didn't seem right to Serena that Erchyll had died from a simple stab in the heart. How long did he have to suffer, she wondered hatefully. Her answer was clear: not long enough.

The worst of all the frustrating thoughts that came to her mind was that she couldn't find any information about Hyder again. This source had dried up. How could she ever find her little brother when everything seemed to be going wrong?

Still holding the knife in her hand, she stood frozen in the room directly in front of the dead body, which was now turning dark red from the blood.

"Well, that's ...", Sebastian started, but didn't seem to know exactly how to comment on this absurd situation. The demon also seemed to be speechless this time. Probably this strange incident was also the reason why he had just appeared confused for a moment, Serena supposed. At that thought, her head shot around to Sebastian, who was looking at the corpse in front of them with a brooding look.

"Did you know?", Serena hissed a little too reproachfully than she had intended. Her butler's eyes immediately wandered to her and for a brief moment he looked at her in silence before his gaze darkened slightly.

"No, I haven't.", he replied and she could hear that he was not enthusiastic about her question, " Why should I have withheld such information from you, Lady Serena?".

"I don't know?", she snapped in frustration, "Maybe because you could cause me more sorrow?".

Serena knew it was complete bullshit what she was talking about, but she had to get rid of the anger about the situation. This frustration was now mixed with the anger at her butler, so it was Sebastian who got her bad mood.

At Serena's words she could clearly see that something was stirring inside Sebastian. For a moment he looked as if she had actually hit him, as if he were offended. But within a second he caught himself again and gave her a cynical and slightly reproachful look.

"Why should I want something like that? That would only jeopardize our contract. ", he now spoke and snorted a bit annoyed.

Serena turned her gaze back to the corpse and snorted too. Of course she knew Sebastian wouldn't do that, no matter how tense their relationship was at the moment. But somehow it was good for her to be able to reproach him, so it felt easier for her to endure his presence and his actions.

But what exactly had happened here? How could anyone have murdered Erchyll in such a short time without even a demon standing in front of the door noticing it? And where was the perpetrator now? Too many unclear questions were floating through Serena's mind that she would probably never be able to answer.

"Holy shit!", Serena cursed loudly and kicked the corpse in front of her on the floor in anger, "Why did you monster just die like that? Why didn't you allow me to do that?". She felt stupid to talk to a bleeding corpse, yell at it and blame it, but what else could she have done?