Chapter 1 - Rumors

Together, they walked through the filthy streets of this district of London. Like a shadow, the man followed the woman and did not leave her side for a second. In the street, they met only a few people, of whom they were stared with wide eyes, but no one dared to address the two and ask for some money or something like that. The two simply surrounded a too eerie aura.

"Do not always run after me, Sebastian.", the woman finally said with an amused smile on her lips, " It's kind of weird, like I'm still traveling alone.".

"Excuse me, my lady.", Sebastian answered immediately and took a few long strides to get up and walk beside the woman. They walked peacefully together for a while in unison.

"You had hoped for more of this trip, right, Lady Serena?", Sebastian eventually broke the silence and looked down at the woman next to him. She sighed softly and gave him a quick smile.

"That's right, Sebastian. Actually, I thought that I would really find this Melton there.", she said disappointed and looked a bit lost in thought on the rundown buildings they passed.

"I do not know you so depressed, my lady.", Sebastian smirked with a fleeting grin on his lips. A bit rude, the woman immediately gave him a push with her elbow, but also had to grin slightly. "Do not be naughty, Sebastian. As if such a thing would already discourage me.", she countered calmly and the two exchanged a brief amused look.

It had been like that from the beginning, she thought as she looked at Sebastian From the beginning, they got on well in a certain way and always made it fun to irritate the other one a bit.

"What should I call you, young lady?", he had asked in a velvety voice and looked at her seriously from his red, shining eyes.

"My name is Serena Sinister.", she had answered somewhat intimidated by his imposing appearance. He had nodded understanding.

"So I'll address you with Lady Sinister.", he had factually determined and slightly submissive inclined his head.

"No.", she had said immediately and in astonishment he had raised an eyebrow, confused by her statement.

"No?", he had asked, his head tilted slightly, "What are you thinking of?".

"I do not give much attention to etiquette.", she had explained to him and looked him confidently into the eyes, "You can just call me Serena.". A faint smile had played around his lips and she could clearly see that this had amused him.

"I'm very sorry, but I think that would be a bit tactless. As your butler, this is not appropriate.", he insisted, looking down at her.

"But I do not want to be Lady Sinister. That sounds like I'm my own grandmother.", she had insisted and folded her arms defiantly. A soft sigh escaped him and he had looked at her as if he were talking to a recalcitrant little child.

"Would you be satisfied with the form of address ‚Lady Serena'?", he had asked with a slightly sarcastic undertone in his voice and she had smiled slightly. She had liked the salutation and she had nodded in satisfaction.

"That's fine. So I'm Lady Serena for you from today on.", Serena had said to him, "And what is your name?".

"The name you intend to give me, Lady Serena.", he had answered and she had been a little baffled. But immediately she had caught herself again and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Well, then you are Sebastian from today on. Sebastian Michaelis.", she had said and smiled weakly at him. He had took a step back elegantly and then knelt down to bow low in front of her.