Chapter 2 - Dark violet

When Serena opened the dark oak door oft he salon and stepped into the room, Sebastian was already there. At first his speed and precision had seemed almost scary to her, but by now it had become normal for her.

"I chose a sour-sweet herbal tea from the area, Lady Serena.", he explained with a stunning smile as he put down a steaming cup of tea on a small round side table. Next to it stood a red velvet chair in which Serena sat down and comfortably crossed her legs.

"Thanks, Sebastian.", she said to him and nodded weakly smiling. The salon was a rather small room with various bookshelves and a few paintings on the wall. Some armchairs, similar to the one in which Serena sat, were scattered around the room, meant to treat some whiskey to a social gathering. But for a long time the room had not fulfilled this purpose. A dark red carpet lined the entire floor of the salon and thus dampened the footsteps. Serena liked this room, it always had something homely and trustworthy about her and as often as she could, she stayed here.

"Are you angry that I do not use your services so often, even though I have the opportunity?", she asked, glancing at her butler and reaching for the flower-decorated teacup. Even though it was not befitting, she felt a little guilty about Sebastian. If she would instruct him to use his abilities more often, she would have come much closer to her goal.

A faint smile crossed Sebastian's perfect lips as he crossed his arms behind his back.

"I am your butler, Lady Serena. I follow your orders. No more and no less.", he answered, but Serena immediately noticed that he only avoided her question.

"So you're mad.", she stated and smelled her tea briefly before taking a cautious sip of the hot drink.

"Shall I be honest, Lady Serena?", he asked and she just nodded but kept her eyes on him.

"You could actually be much further if you did not always want to do everything on your own.", he said with a polite smile on his face, but his eyes began light and bleak to sparkle, "But precisely this ambition I like about you, Lady Serena.".

A fleeting grin crossed her face, because somehow she felt a little flattered by it. And even though it was not necessarily the wish of her devoted butler, she still wanted to continue as before. She just could not stand it if he would do everything alone, because then she would feel completely superfluous.

"Well, anyway.", she said, putting down the teacup on the table, "This track to Henry Melton has turned cold, so we have to go another way.".

"Have you any idea, my lady?", Sebastian asked immediately and looked at her intently, but Serena shrugged with her shoulder and crossed her arms.

"Not really.", she said, looking around the salon, "Henry Melton was the only thread I could cling to. Otherwise, every trace of ... this man is missing.". She had to falter for a moment, because she hated to say his name, but she knew that Sebastian would also know who was meant.

As she pondered the interior of the salon, her eyes fell on a photograph on a shelf on the left wall. It had been recorded several years ago and yet it was still one of Serena's favorite pictures. A sad, quiet sigh escaped her as she watched the photograph. Two people were pictured, a young woman and a boy. The young woman was Serena herself, it was her 16th birthday. With a big smile and a brand-new dress, she laughed happily into the camera, her hair lavishly pinned up. Her left arm rested on the shoulder of the smaller boy beside her, who looked as happy as she did. He, too, was blond and his features were quite similar to those of Serena in many ways, though he was only five years old at that time. It had been a nice day for both of them, they had a lot of fun back then. But only a year later her life had turned completely upside down.