Prologue

"Miss, I don't think this is a suitable place for you.", the bright voice of a woman was still trying to retune the person who was just stepping forward into the establishment.

"Oh, let it the little girl do, if she really wants to come in here.", immediately a man countered with a dirty smile and grinned broadly over his face, "Then at least we finally have a nice view.".

There was a strong smell of alcohol and a faint haze of that drink had already set in the small room. In the dimly and sparsely lit environment, only men sat at low wooden tables, drinking one drink after another. The only women were two waitresses, who scurried between the tables and had to listen to some dirty and rather ambiguous sayings when serving. But such a tone they were now used to unfortunately, because this was part of the agenda in this pub.

Now, when a well-dressed person entered this establishment, it was understandable that all eyes immediately turned to her in amazement. In this corner of London people never wore such a fine clothing and this of course immediately caused a stir. In the door stood a slender and tall person, wrapped in a dark green, supple cloak with a hood loosely on the head, showing only the person's face. The people in the room looked at a rosy and beautiful face of a young woman, who was in her early twenties. Her full lips twisted into a sour smile as she let her eyes wander across the room.

"Exactly! She'll have her reasons why she's here!", another man bellowed and the woman's conspicuous dark green eyes darted over to him, giving him a cool look.

"Oh, I do indeed.", she said in an icy voice, lifting her hand in a fluid motion and throwing back her hood. Blonde and dazzling curls came to appearance, which fell over the entire length of her back. The men's eyes in the room became noticeably larger and the woman literally looked at their disgusting thoughts as she felt their eyes on her body. A brief shiver ran through her, because she knew such a situation in which one was greeded by others. But this time she was on the side of the fittest, this time she would not be scared.

Of course, on the one hand, being a pretty well-dressed lady in such a cheap pub in one of London's seedy neighborhoods was a bit reckless, if not stupid, but that had been her intention. The woman was well aware of her beauty and she tried to play this trump card now, because she had actually come to this pub for a reason.

"Sit down with us, my pretty one.", the woman was already ensnared there by another man, who grinned greasy and bared a series of yellow and crooked teeth. The sight of it was already disgusting to her, but nonetheless she walked slowly to the table where the man sat with three other guys. With a little distance she stopped in front of them and looked down at them.

"I'm looking for someone.", she began, trying to sound particularly ingratiating. Meanwhile, there was still a rather uncomfortable silence in the room, as all eyes were still on this mysterious woman.

"If you are looking for a capable lover then you've already found him, honey.", one of the men at the table whispered in front of her and the woman had to pull herself together and suppress a gag reflex. These greasy guys were so repugnant to her, but she stood still and pretended to ignore that comment.

"Is there a certain Henry Melton present here?", she now spoke into the silence and waited a moment, but no one seemed to be addressed by this name. It remained pretty quiet in the room, only the wheeze of some men who had already drank too much alcohol, was heard. The woman sighed inwardly. It would have been too easy otherwise, she thought a little contrite.

"He was here yesterday.", a man grumbled from another table near her, "Sucked a lot and then disappeared. But I think he won't be back here very soon. Has really chewed the bill.". Astonished, the woman turned her head to the man who had just given her this information. So she had come to this bar for nothing, she thought frustrated and turned to leave, because now she had no reason to be in this filthy place anymore. But just then, she felt someone grabbing her wrist, preventing her from walking. Her head whipped around and she saw that one of the men at the table in front of her was holding her and grinning cheekily.

"But you don't need this Henry, my darling. You still have us with whom you can have fun.", he lolled and disgusted grimaced the woman's face, because the breath of this man smelled of alcohol as if he had drunk an entire brewery empty.

"Leave me alone.", she hissed at him, trying to wriggle out of his grip, but he did not let up and his grin only widened.

"Now do not adorn yourself like that.", he whispered, reaching out his other hand as well and wishing to lay her immoral on her buttocks.

"Sebastian.", the woman mumbled quietly, but at the same moment it seemed as if a dark shadow were chasing through the bar. Staring in shock, the man stared now into the narrow and pithy face of a young and handsome man, who stood suddenly in front of him and pressed him with one hand tight around his neck. Immediately he let go of the woman, who took a step back and gave him hateful looks. The man in front of him was slim and tall, but it was clear that he had a very muscular and strong body. The black hair hung a little unruly in the eerie, red eyes and thereby he emitted a certain mysterious aura. He was completely wrapped in a black suit, just the white of the shirt he wore under his jacket and his clean gloves stood out.

"Did not one teach you that it is not fitting to touch a lady like that without her permission?", the mysterious man now asked in a deep and velvety voice that subliminally bubbled with disgust.

"I ... well ... I ...", the man stammered intimidated and continued to stare into the eerie red eyes.

"Leave it at that, Sebastian. We are leaving.", the woman said almost casually to him and turned to leave unimpressed by.

"Yes, of course.", the young man said immediately as he released the man in front of him. He coughed and gasped, because now he finally got enough air again. The man, whom the woman had called Sebastian, now straightened up and followed her with lithe steps. Silently, these two passed through the pub, while all the others stared in shock.

Just in front of the door, the young man named Sebastian overtook the woman to open the door for her. She paused once more in the doorway and cast a derogatory glance into the room behind her. Without another word she started moving again and together with the man behind her she left this pub.

"So gracious today, my lady?", Sebastian asked the woman as they stepped outside and she snorted in amusement and threw back her thick hair.

"Call it what you want.", she replied without looking at him, "I just did not want so many witnesses.". The man nodded with a faint smile as he walked close behind her.

"I understand.", he said and folded his arms behind his back a bit disappointed. If it had been up to him, he would have given that man a lesson he had never forgotten in his whole life, but he held himself back. He would never resist the order of his lady.

Published on 11.01.2019

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote.

picture: https://www.deviantart.com/anthonyavon/art/Growling-Guppy-Tavern-418611296