Chapter 9 - Security

Attention, violence is mentioned in this chapter!

"The name sounds like it was made up.", Serena blurted out after the strange redheaded man had introduced himself by name.

"Pardon me?", he licked instantly and glared at her angrily, "What shoud that, cheeky brat?".

The man's wild gaze and screeching voice immediately made Serena hiding behind Sebastian's back. Then Grell Sutcliff opened his mouth again, probably to further reprimand Serena, but was interrupted by a polite hawking of Sebastian.

"May I ask what you are doing here, Mr. Sutcliff?", he asked in his usual conversational tone, but Serena sensed through her closeness to him that everything in him was tense, ready to move at any moment.

"Oh, don't be so formal.", Grell Sutcliff chuckled and strummed his eyelashes, "Just call me Grell. And with whom do I have the pleasure?". Serena noticed that the red-haired man's gaze immediately became softer, almost ingratiating, as soon as he looked at Sebastian. However, when he looked at Serena for a moment, his eyes became hard and cold. She wondered why he was behaving so strangely and could not quite handle it, that apparently, just in front of her eyes, a man flirted with her butler.

"Sebastian, what does this strange guy want here?", she whispered to her butler from behind and did not take her eyes off the crazy man.

"Strange guy? Who do you think you are, naughty brat?", Grell Sutcliff growled and Serena started for a moment, but obviously he had understood her very well, "But at least I now know that your name is Sebastian.". With this words he bared his sharp teeth again with a grin and tried to look seductively at Sebastian. Serena's butler let out a low, almost annoyed sigh before he raised his voice.

"Apparently he's a shinigami, Lady Serena.", he answered, ignoring Grell Sutcliff and Serena cocked her head in confusion.

"What's that supposed to be?", she asked, giving her butler a quick look. The word he had just used had never been heard to her before and she could not explain what it might mean.

"You are really very attentive, sweetheart.", Grell Sutcliff sighed and held up a thumbs-up, as if praising Sebastian, "But as a demon, you should notice that as well.".

Startled, Serena sucked in her breath and unconsciously clung to Sebastian's shoulder. This man knew of Sebastian's true identity, she thought alarmed- But how was that possible? People should not be able to find out unless they enter into a pact with a demon like Serena. But to her astonishment, her butler remained completely calm and seemed not even to be surprised which confused Serena even more.

"Sebastian.", she whispered softly and gently squeezed his shoulder, "What exactly is going on here?". Only now did she get the feeling that something was going on that might not have been completely human. Something that under normal circumstances was hidden from human eyes and was not intended for them at all.

"A shinigami is a being who collects the souls of the deceased.", Sebastian whispered over his shoulder and she froze. Even though she was quite hardened in such matters, since she had a demon by her side after all, it was somehow a shock for her to get to know another non-human being.
"The ... souls of the deceased?", she slowly brought out and looked at the red-haired man now with big eyes. Outwardly, he did not differ from a human, but only then did she notice how penetrating, almost piercing his gaze was and how clearly his green eyes seemed to twinkle. It was only then that she felt as if she really noticed the non-human in him. So, there were such beings, she thought spellbound, beings who cared for people's souls when they died. Was there a shinigami in that cellar to take care of her father's soul? However, she was sure that her mother's soul has not been under the care of a shinigami.