Chapter 3 - Perfection

A few days passed until finally the day had come, at which the ball in the house Phantomhive should take place. By the late afternoon, Serena had begun to dress up, and now she was standing in front of the large mirror in her bedroom, looking contentedly.

The dark blue dress really fit her like a glove and nestled gently around her body. Her feet were in black boots, however, they were largely hidden by the long dress. It had cost Sebastian a lot of time and effort but he had finally managed to tame Serena's wild curls and put them in a handsome updo. Most of her hair was pinned to the back of her head, but a few single curly strands protruded and fell gently over her shoulder so that her hairstyle was not too severe. However, she had taken on the make-up herself. As much as she trusted Sebastian's abilities, there were things a woman had to do herself.

She now twisted the dark red lips into a faint smile as she stepped away from the mirror and looked at her butler, who waited patiently at the door.

"It's time, Lady Serena.", he said gently, "We should leave soon.". Serena nodded and reached for the black stole on the dresser and threw it over her shoulders. Then she went to her butler.

"Sebastian, I command you to take me to the Phantomhive manor without messing up my hairstyle.", she said with a smirk on her face. Sebastian raised an eyebrow.

"Probably the hardest job you've ever asked me to do, my lady.", he commented her command sarcastically and she grinned amused. She nudged him eloquently as they left the room.

"I trust you.", she teased, walking beside him through the cottage until they stepped out. The sun was already setting and dipped the landscape and the estate in an orange and friendly light.

"Well then, I'll do my best, Lady Serena.", Sebastian said and pulled out a dark and thin cloth, which he tied her gently around the head in order to protect her hair. Then he picked her up gently.

Although Serena might not really want to admit it, but she enjoyed his touch on her hip and how he carried her on his hands in front of his chest. It was a nice and reassuring feeling to be so close to him and she leaned against him as he chased through the english countryside with her in his arms in an abnormal speed.

"Are you also aware that for a young lady like yourself, it's actually improper to appear alone on a ball?", he asked as he moved lightly.

"This objection is now too late, Sebastian.", she said dryly and looked up at him, "And besides, I have you.".

"But I'm just your butler, my lady. That's different.", he replied, but continued to look straight ahead. Serena shrugged slightly.

"Well, then it is just improper. You know that I do not really care about that.", she wiped away his concerns.

"I know that, Lady Serena." he said, "I just wanted to alert you." After that, their conversation was over and when they finally arrived in front of the Phantomhives estate, it was already dark.

Right from the first sight, it became clear that between this estate and that of Serena's family were literally worlds apart. The building was huge, at least three times the size of Serena's cottage and also the property with the gardens around it was in perfect condition. A few gas lanterns were lit and cast a pleasant and inviting glow on the large stone building.

Sebastian came to a halt on the gravel in front of the large front door and set Serena down. Then he carefully took the cloth from her head and expertly examined her hairstyle. When a satisfied expression appeared on his face, Serena concluded that her hairstyle was still in perfect condition and smoothed out a few more last wrinkles in the fabric of her dress. Then her gaze wandered up the smooth stone facade of the estate. From the windows came a bright inviting light and very softly you could hear the murmur of people and music. But out here in the dark night nobody was left, because most of the guests had already arrived and the ball had been opened.