Chapter 26 - Fear

A few days passed and Serena and Sebastian spent even more searching for information on Jonathan Wyrodd, but unfortunately this was not crowned with success either. With each passing day Serenas mood bedamce worse and slowly but surely she realized that she would not stand it much longer at this location. In order to prevent this circumstance, she had sent Sebastian to finally bring her some decent food again. She had sent him off with instructions that she needed some nerve food. With an amused grin, Sebastian of course complied with this request immediately.

So she sat in her quarters in the early evening and waited for her butler. She sincerely hoped that he would actually bring her something tasty. At least she knew his sense of humor, but Serena trusted him that he had recognized the seriousness of the situation and would adequately comply with her request.

Suddenly she heard noises from below from the vestibules and immediately turned her head and looked at the door. The other residents of this house were usually quite quiet at this time of the day and Sebastian would never move at such a volume. With a frown, Serena stood up slowly, but did not take her eyes off the door. An uneasy feeling spread through her and before she could even think about it, she went to the door and held out her hand.

Just at the moment when she was about to turn the key in the lock, the door was jerked open. The hard wood hit her head, and Serena staggered back a few steps, dazed. Her forehead throbbed like hell and her face contorted with pain as she reached for her head.

"What the ...", she stammered and stared with wide eyes towards the door. There were three tall, strong men standing there, looking down at her threateningly. Each of them had some kind of baton in their hands and they seemed quite adept at their appearance alone.

"Who ... who are you?", Serena asked, stumbling back a few more steps, still holding her throbbing forehead. Unfortunately she didn't have much space to evade in this small room and so she was already bumping her legs against the wall behind her. The man at the front narrowed his eyes for a moment and grunted to himself. Then he bared a row of crooked yellow teeth as he grinned at her maliciously.

"Who do you think we are?", he replied and his two buddies laughed just as grunts behind him. Serena's heart was racing and she felt her knees slowly go weak at the sight of these men. Of course, she had immediately realized that she was dealing with criminals, but she had to say something. She couldn't just stand there and look like a scared bunny after all.

"Apparently, no gentleman.", she managed to say, surprising herself, "Otherwise you would know that you can not just enter the room of a lady like that.". It was a mystery to Serena herself how she managed to talk to these men in this way, her heart pounding and her knees shaky. She wanted to run away screaming, but the only way out was blocked by these intruders. So there was only one option left, namely to buy time. At some point Sebastian would come back and help her out of this situation. Until then, she had to distract these men somehow, no matter how scared she was.

The three in front of her laughed again and the foremost put a hand on his hip. From attentive eyes he looked directly at her and now raised an eyebrow slightly.

"There are no ladys living in this part of town, just whores.", he said and his left buddy then clearly wiggled his eyebrows. In addition to her knees, Serena's hands began to tremble too, but she pushed them quickly behind her back and interlaced her fingers there as tightly as she could.

"There ... you must be wrong.", Serena tried further, "I'm a respectable woman.". She sincerely hoped that these men weren't exactly gifted with intelligence and would not find out so quickly that she was only trying to buy time. But what else should she tell these three intruders? Soon she would reach her limits and Serena carefully searched the room for potential weapons. Would she be able to hit one of them with a chair? But how would she keep all three in check?