Chapter 38 - Monster

A strangely satisfying feeling pervaded Serena's body as she gazed into Wyrodd's eyes, which were wide with terror. The feeling of nervousness withdrew to the furthest corner of her feelings and cleared the stage for her thirst for revenge. Probably he must have felt the same way when he ripped her out of her usual life and locked her up.

"That ... That can't be.", he now stammered and angrily Serena twisted her mouth into a callous smile.

"And why not?", she asked with a growl and stared hard at him. She would have loved to just pounce on him. Fantasies of what she could do to him with an ordinary knife filled her mind.

"My pursuer ... I ... I thought that would be ...", he tried to manage an answer, "And you are ... you are back then ... That just can't be.". For a brief moment the cold businessman resurfaced inside him. He just seemed unable to understand that something he had sold to someone was now standing before him without its owner. But then his gaze slid back briefly to the tall man behind Serena and his already corpse-pale face lost all color.

"The goods you sold didn't want to be property for the rest of her live.", Serena hissed at him and took a step towards him. She shivered with satisfaction as he winced slightly at her movement. He's actually scared of me, Serena thought maliciously and came a few steps closer to him.

"That ... well ... I ...", Wyrodd tried somehow to talk his way out of the matter, but they both knew that this was not possible. Now, so close to him, his smell rose even more to her nose. The mixture of sweat, hanging clothes and old cigars enveloped him and Serena had to shake her head briefly to recover. His smell reminded her so much of her time when she was locked up. He was to blame for everything that had happened to her. That her mother was no longer with her, that her father had committed suicide in front of his family and that her little, innocent brother was now living a life of solitude and cruelty somewhere.

Before she could actually think about it, Serena jumped impulsively forward and reached out with her arm. Her right fist hit Wyrodd in the face and an ugly cracking sound was heard, followed closely by Wyrodd's painful howl. The feeling of triumph and superiority did not last long for Serena when the pain hit her too.

"Holy shit ...", she cursed and shook her right hand, which also looked a bit battered. But while Serena was only struggling with swelling and bruised ankles, Wyrodd's nose was now running a considerable flow of blood. His face contorted with pain, he now held his nose and tears came out of the corner of his eye.

"I didn't know it hurt that much.", Serena said more to herself than to someone in particular. Sebastian cleared his throat noisily behind her.

"You could have asked me beforehand.", he whispered from behind her, but Serena resisted the urge to give him a venomous look over her shoulder. Serena rubbed her aching hand one more time before taking a step back from Wyrodd and looking at him with a disgusted look on her face.

"Let's take him with us, Sebastian.", she now said, without taking her eyes off the man in front of her.

"As you command, my lady.", her butler accepted the instruction behind her and pushed past her briefly to approach Wyrodd. He began to tremble all over and slid in his chair as far away from Sebastian as he could. But the room was small and gave him limited space to retreat. As if Serena was watching him remove a spider from her room, she followed Sebastian's movements with her eyes. She stood with her arms crossed and didn't move a bit.

With a targeted movement, Sebastian knocked the man out in front of him so that his already sweaty head slumped lifelessly forward. It was almost a strange sight when Sebastian threw the stocky man over his shoulder and looked briefly at Serena.