Chapter 37 - Growl

Serena had acted instinctively. Her body was faster than her thinking and before she could even understand the whole situation, she was standing between her demon and the Shinigami and saw a huge scythe flying down at her. Briefly she caught a glimpse of the shinigami's sparkling green eyes, which widened in amazement as she moved, but the tip of his deadly scythe came closer and closer to Serena at a rapid pace.

Just before the point could ram directly into her head, however, the Shinigami stopped his attack abruptly. Serena stood there, eyes wide and breathing shallow, with the scythe a hair's breadth from her face, like a large animal leaning towards her. For a few seconds there was absolute silence, and each of them did not move a muscle. Then the Shinigami slowly raised his scythe and then leaned it loosely on his shoulder as if it were a thin stick.

"So so ... that's interesting.", he now said in a hushed voice and his green eyes rested thoughtfully on Serena. Before Serena could even move, Sebastian was pulling her back roughly. With just a few steps he was standing in front of her again and shielded her from potential new attacks. With a trembling body, Serena stepped up to Sebastian from behind and clutched the fabric of his jacket. Only now, when she was standing behind her butler, did she realize that she had just barely escaped death aand if Sebastian hadn't been right with her, she would probably have passed out.

"Apparently you managed to end your arguments ...", the Shinigami said mysteriously, but neither Sebastian nor Serena replied to his statement. Sebastian just stood in wait in front of her, ready to defend her at any time.

"And the way I see it, you seem to have done a lot more than just getting along ...", he mused aloud and his face twisted into a wide, crooked grin, "I think that's very good.". And just as quickly as he appeared, the Shinigami suddenly disappeared.

"What ...", Sebastian exclaimed surprised and he dashed forward into the darkness to be able to pursue him somehow, but after a few steps he already stopped. With dark eyes he looked around attentively and Serena could literally see him prick up his ears to track down the Shinigami.

"I ... he's gone.", Sebastian said completely perplexed, "I can't find him anymore.". Serena slowly shook her head, unable to actually understand what he was saying. It was simply not possible that Sebastian could no longer track someone who had just stood in front of him. Then he turned to her and looked at her briefly before returning to Serena and hastily hugging her. Immediately her heartbeat quietened a little when she felt his comforting warmth and leaned against his chest with her eyes closed.

"Are you all right, Lady Serena?", he whispered in a heavy voice and repeatedly stroked her back up and down with one hand. Serena nodded weakly in his embrace and listened to her heart, which grew slower and calmer.

"Why did you do that?", Sebastian asked in a whisper and Serena shrugged weakly.

"I ... just wanted him to stop hurting you.", she whispered against his chest and felt herself blush a little. Now that she was saying it, it sounded even stranger. She had actually placed herself between a shinigami and a demon. Had this Shinigami not been so abnormal, she would probably be dead now. Slowly Sebastian's grip tightened on her and she heard him sigh softly.

"I thought I'd see him impale you, Lady Serena," he said in a low voice and Serena lifted her head slightly. She looked into his pained face and was shocked by the sadness in his eyes. Carefully she reached up to him and pressed a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I'm sorry.", she whispered and he had to laugh slightly. While she watched his features slowly relax a little, he raised an arm and straightened his slightly disheveled hair.

"What do we do about this shinigami?", Serena then asked and began to straighten his tie, which had slipped in the fight. Sebastian cocked his head for a moment and twisted his mouth sourly. Serena could see that he felt hurt in his pride that he hadn't won the fight.