Chapter 6 - Memory

The rain pattered loud and hard on the ground, enveloping the english countryside in a dark, dismal gray. The right weather for this day, Serena thought cynically as she pulled the wide hood of her dark cloak deeper into her face.

"Do you really want to leave in this weather, Lady Serena?", Sebastian asked next to her and looked up at the sky in disapproval, as if he really wanted to blame the weather.

Serena laughed briefly and looked at him cheekily. "As if that little rain shower would scare me off.", she answered boldly, "That's just water, Sebastian.".

"You could catch a cold.", he added, and Serena rolled her eyes in secret. Sometimes he really sounded like a overprotective mother, she thought, but actually he was worried only about her health.

"Do not worry, Sebastian.", she said softly to him and gave him a weak smile, "That will not happen.". With that he sighed and nodded his head slightly, but she sensed that he was still thinking about it.

But Serena really did not care about the rain, because there was on thing much more important for her. Only yesterday, she had been elegant and dressed up on a ball, and today she stood in plain, dark clothes in front of her cottage and was on her way to fulfill her bloody wish. It had to be tonight because Serena could not bear to wait even a day longer now that she knew where that monster lived.

"Let's go, Sebastian.", she said in a stern tone of command, "You know exactly where we have to go.".

"Yes, my lady.", he immediately answered in his velvet voice and in the next moment lifted her gently. Before stepping out into the rain, Serena pulled her hood even lower in the face and secretly leaned even closer to Sebastian's upper body.

Like yesterday, Sebastian immediately shot off in superhuman speed and Serena pressed even closer to him to protect herself from the wind and the wet cold. Silently, she listened to the soothing and rhythmic beating of Sebastian's heart right next to her ear and as he rushed through the countryside, Serena tried to sort out her thoughts.

Soon it would actually be that time, she thought with mild enjoyment, soon she would stand in front of him and finally let him pay for what he had done. Briefly, Serena wondered how her life would have been if her father had not made that fatal mistake back then. That stupidity of getting involved with them. Maybe Serena's family would be complete and happy today, she mused. Ever since she could remember, her family had always been in financial straits, even though her parents had always tried to hide this from their children as much as possible. But at some point Serena had noticed how other families talked disparagingly about the "impoverished nobility" to which her own family belonged, and that her parents were sometimes rather sad in the evenings and worried about the future when they thought their children were already asleep. And it was precisely this circumstance, the need for money, that had prompted Serena's father to make the mistake of his life, because he had intervened with criminals and maneuvered into a difficult situation due to crooked business. By the time Serena was 17, her father was so in debt that there was simply no way to pay off this debt and he faced financial ruin. And unfortunately he had borrowed the money from the wrong people who were capable of anything to collect their debts.

With a loud bang, Serena's mother, Mary Sinister, opened the door to her son's bedroom, where her two children were. Her son was only six years old and despite the great difference in age to her daughter Serena, the two got along pretty well and were almost inseparable. They were sitting opposite each other on the floor, playing with the wooden figures of her son, as Mary Sinister stormed into the room. Her two children raised their heads in alarm and looked at their mother in surprise.