Chapter 12 - Pride

It was really amazing to see that for Serena. The more often the prince made her obvious compliments, the more Sebastian's mood seemed to sink. Of course, he still kept his composure, but Serena knew him well enough to realize that he wanted to pour the hot tea over the body of the prince.

And even if she felt a little shabby, Serena also insisted on flirting with Prince Soma. It was good for her to finally be the one who teased him and not the other way around. She also wanted to test if he was actually a little jealous.

"I probably still can not persuade you to let your butler go for me?", Ciel Phantomhive actually tried again after a while. Serena looked at him briefly with a polite smile and a raised an eyebrow. She had been right in her assumption.

"I'm sorry, but no matter how many times you ask, I will not agree to your request.", she answered immediately, giving her jealous butler a brief, amused look. However, he did not look at her, but devoted himself fully to Elizabeth.

"Too bad.", the son of the Earl sighed and looked briefly at Sebastian. If he knew he was trying to recruit a demon, he'd change his mind quickly, Serena thought. Nevertheless, she also wondered where this great interest in her butler Sebastian came from. Of course, he did all his duties extremely well and perfectly, but other butlers could certainly do that as well. So why was he so fond of him?

"Are you planning to marry in the near future, Lady Sinister?", Prince Soma burst out next to her, and again Serena had to cough briefly and with surprise. This prince was beginning to look more and more strange to her, because what was such a question?

"Um ... no, I don't think so.", Serena replied, trying a short polite laugh, but she did not quite succeed. Had she flirted with him a little too much and given him such false hopes?

"But Prince Soma.", Elizabeth laughed, "You can not ask something like that to a lady so directly.". For a moment, he looked at her in surprise and Serena could not understand that he did not seem to know that.

"English people are sometimes really hard to understand.", he murmured for a moment. However, Serena doubted that such a circumstance was different in his homeland. There, the women were not asked that kind of thing that easy and straightforward.

For a moment Serena cleared her throat and now wanted to change the subject as soon as possible, because shortly the faint suspicion flared up in her that the prince would want to make her a marriage proposal today!

"Ciel, how is your father?", she asked, although she was aware that this was a pretty bad topic change. But as long as she did not have to talk about marriage, she did not care.

"My father?", Ciel Phantomhive inquired shortly, "He's fine. He's just ... busy again at the moment.". Serena nodded and sipped her tea briefly. She would much rather have talked to Vincent Phantomhive than to his son, but now she had to be content with stories about the Earl.

"So?", therefore she asked and did not want to make a speech break, in which the prince could start again from any feelings and marriages.

"Yes ... he ...", Ciel Phantomhive began and was obviously not sure if he was allowed to talk about it at all. He probably did not even know that Serena was informed that his father was the watchdog of the queen.

"He has been to many dinner parties lately.", his fiancé said encouragingly, definitely not talking about the watch dog's activity, but about the normal actions of a common earl. She probably did not even know the true identity of her future father-in-law.

"That's true.", Ciel Phantomhive agreed with her, visibly relieved to be able to handle this issue that way.

"However, he has said that at these societies have been a lot of unpleasant people lately.", Elizabeth happily continued, "He has been complaining about the manners of a gentleman in particular. What was his name? Echill? Ergil?".