Chapter 17 - Excitement

Sullenly, Serena sipped her tea and watched her butler as he quickly left the room. She would have loved to read his mind to understand what was going on inside him. How should it go on? Was their carefree time finally over?

With a little too much momentum, Serena put down her cup so that some of the tea spilled out. Lost in thought, she watched the dark liquid slowly spread on the saucer and caught herself sighing slightly. She couldn't let him upset her like that, she said to herself.

Even if it hurt her heart, she had to accept that Sebastian seemed to behave differently towards her now. But maybe it was better that way, it shot through her head sadly. All too often she forgot that her butler was actually a demon who would take her soul at some point. She couldn't hope for anything else.

Slowly, she rose and moved slowly through the cottage to her room. She was sure that Sebastian would surely not be very busy with the task she had been assigned.

Her anger from the previous day had abated somewhat, but there had still been a frosty atmosphere between them and Serena had barely managed to speak to him.

It was almost as if the days when they had been carefree with each other were ages ago. She longed for his loving taunts and polite smile. Most of all, she missed his look. Of course, he was still looking at her, but not as he had done once. Before this incident, he had always looked at her frankly and honestly, sometimes a little proudly, with his devilishly red eyes.. She had loved it when Sebastian looked at her like that, but now it seemed to her that his eyes were cold and distant.

She felt left alone by him and that hit her very deeply. For Serena it was almost a kind of betrayal and he would have hurt her less if he had just left her. Because this cold manner and his repellent behavior stung Serena into her heart again and again.

Involuntarily, she stroked the symbol of her pact on her collarbone with her right hand. If only she could go back in time, she thought contritely, then slowly lowered her hand. Maybe then everything would be easier and not as confusing as it was now.

Then Serena had arrived at her bedroom and gently opened the door. Sebastian had of course already made her bed and opened the windows to ventilate the room. Slowly she sat on the edge of her bed and looked out into the landscape.

Or maybe it was just as well that they had a much more distant relationship, Serena thought briefly sadly. Otherwise she might have run the risk of losing sight of her real goal if she had only focused on Sebastian.

Immediately a cold shiver ran through her. She quickly shook her head to calm herself. No, Serena thought, she would never have stopped looking for Hyder. She couldn't rest before she could hug him again!

Another sigh escaped her, only this time it was for her little brother. Now she just had to grit her teeth and somehow come to terms with Sebastian, because her brother was a top priority.

Suddenly there was a soft knock on her door and Serena was torn from her thoughts. She half turned her head to the side and slowly rose.

"Come in, Sebastian.", she said and immediately the door opened and her butler entered. Of course, his mine was polite, but Serena recognized the difference from before, because now she clearly noticed that this was just a facade.

"I'm back from your order, Lady Serena.", he said, closing the door behind him.

"I can see that.", Serena murmured sniffily, finally she couldn't help but comment. Now that she was facing Sebastian again, her anger was slowly coming back up. He blinked at her briefly, but fortunately did not comment on her remark and looked directly at her.