45: Lust

Quentin woke up suddenly, his body jerking up. "Wh.. what happened?!" He found himself outside, behind a house. He looked to his right, finding Jerome who was seemingly unconscious. "Jerome?"

He grabbed his shoulders, shaking him gently. "Hey, wake up!"

Jerome's eyes fluttered open, groaning as he reached for the back of his neck. "You... why did you call me over?"

"Huh..?"

"You called me over, saying that you wanted to talk.. but then I got hit on the neck?" Jerome seemed unsure, frowning.

"What... what happened....? I was.. I saw you... and..." Quentin trailed off as his head throbbed, hearing a familiar voice, whispering to him.

"Here's what I want you to do, Virtue."

"Get Chastity away from Charity for me, will you?"

The voice echoed in his mind, repeating itself over and over again. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to make it go away.

"Quentin....?" Jerome looked confused when Quentin opened his eyes again. "Are you.. Alright?"

"Something happened... Something really horrible..." Quentin muttered. His head throbbed again and he grimaced in pain. "You.... no.. " His eyes widened as he remembered the cold blue eyes. "A Sin..."

"Wh-what did you just say, Quentin?!"

"H-he appeared... a Sin appeared here." Quentin stammered. "I saw him. He looks similar to you... He was... he was controlling me."

"Where is he now?!" Jerome shouted.

"I believe he's targeting Mitch..." Quentin replied, looking at Jerome with a panicked expression. "He must have swapped places with you when he knocked you out."

Jerome grabbed Quentin's wrists and started running. "Our next plan with Mitch was to take a break inside. The Sin... he's most likely with him!"

~

Mitch and Jerome headed back inside. Jerome noted how empty it is, thinking about the other Virtues.

They went inside Mitch's bedroom and Mitch stopped abruptly at the doorway. "I'm going to grab some snacks for us." He said and grinned before he headed off.

The door closed lightly and Jerome was by himself. "I can't believe it worked so perfectly..." He muttered, smiling to himself. "I never knew the Overworld was like this..."

"But it seems like it's falling apart as well..." Jerome's eyes gleamed blue as he snickered. "What a shame that none of the Virtues here have their abilities to help the poor humans."

Lust had successfully taken Jerome's place but since he's away from Quentin, his powers would lessen and then disappear. The control on Quentin would be gone. I'll have to take Charity quickly.... He thought.

Lust heard the door open and Mitch was there with a box of some sort. He frowned, trying to figure out what it was. Something... called crackers...?

"I got some snacks." Mitch announced, holding up the box as he smiled widely. He placed his hand on the knob and closed the door, his eyes looking away from Lust. In that moment, Lust took the chance to grab Mitch by the shoulders, slamming him against the wall next to the door.

Mitch's expression was one who was surprised before it quickly turned into confusion. "What... are you doing?"

Lust examined Mitch closely, noting the similarities between him and Avaritia. The corner of his mouths curved. "You look just like him..." He half-whispered.

"Hey... I'm asking what are you doing." Mitch tried to move but Lust's grip was like iron.

One of Lust's hands traveled up to Mitch's face, caressing his cheek. "The only major difference is your eyes." His hand trailed down to Mitch's neck where his fingers wrapped around his throat.

"Eurg... ugh...?!" Mitch clasped his hand on Lust's wrist, trying to pull his arm off with no avail.

"Don't worry... I won't kill you." Lust chuckled slowly. "Before I bring you back to my world, I want to know one thing... Do you know who I am, Charity?"

Mitch didn't answer, attempting to pry open Lust's fingers. He grimaced as Lust tightened his grip. "S.. stop it."

Lust couldn't help but laugh as he watched the Virtue squirm in his grasp. "Come on, Virtue. Take a good guess."

Mitch didn't answer but instead hung his head down.

Lust frowned deeply. "Hey.. Did you pass out?"

"Hah... aha...."

Lust stared at Mitch who was laughing softly.

"Ahaha...."

"What's so funny, Virtue?" Lust asked, a bit annoyed. "Did you lose yourself?"

"I already know who you are..."

Lust failed to take notice that one of Mitch's hands was in his flannel. Mitch pulled out something shiny which was hidden underneath his flannel. It was a kitchen knife which he had taken with him when he went to grab a snack.

A sharp pain went through him and he coughed up blood. The blood had gone through the middle of his chest. Mitch pulled the knife back and blood spurted out from the wound. Lust staggered backwards as his shirt turned into a deep red color.

"Did you think I was dumb...?" Mitch asked him calmly. "Do you really think you can impersonate Jerome that easily?"

"Just because I'm a Virtue doesn't mean I'm not able to get rid of you." Mitch pointed the knife towards the Sin. "I'll have you tell us everything that you know."

Lust laughed. "You... you're just like him." He rips open his shirt, revealing the wound that Mitch had inflicted. "... always having something up your sleeves."

He placed his bloody fingers on his lips, licking it as he stared at Mitch, his cold, blue eyes gleaming with malice. Mitch flinched at the sight of the Sin staring at him, smirking widely as he licked his own blood. Something else caught his eye—the wound in his chest was moving.

Mitch watched in shock as the wound slowly closed right up in front of his eyes.

No... no way... He healed up?!

"Now Virtue, what are you going to do now?"