3: Check Up

Quentin hurried into Jason's room with a glass of water. He came right away when Seto told him what happened. He's the only Virtue that has any medical knowledge, something that he studied on his own.

"Take this, Jason."

Jason smiled as he gratefully took the glass of water, taking a single but long sip. It was cold and soothing as it went down his throat. He set the glass aside and winced as the headache became to ache again.

It was strange. He couldn't remember what had happened. He was looking at the view but everything else was a blur. As Jason tries to recall what happened, his headache became worse.

Quentin examined Jason, pushing his hair out of the way. Sure enough, there is a bruise on his forehead. "You must have hit your head somewhere," he told him. "What happened? Did you trip?"

"Maybe..." Jason muttered. He reaches his back to feel the back of his head where the ache was at its worst. As soon as he touched it, there was a small jolt of pain that caused him to wince. "O-ow..."

"I guess you had also hit the back of your head as well..."

"Hit... the back of my head?" Jason repeated slowly. His eyes widened as he suddenly remember what happened. "I-I got hit!" he exclaimed loudly.

"Somebody... somebody hit... me...." Jason trailed off with a frown. "Why would somebody do that...?"

"Somebody... hit you?" Quentin asked, slowly, not quite understanding what Jason was trying to say.

Jason nodded. "I was just on a walk but someone must have followed me... I felt something hit the back of my head and then I fell..."

Before Quentin can comment, Mitch and Jerome rush into Jason's room.

"Where have you been?! We were worried sick about you!" Mitch exclaimed as he saw Jason in his bed. Jerome quickly nodded his head in agreement.

"I went into the forest..." Jason replied, sheepishly. The forest was Mitch's and Jerome's playground when they were little. They nicknamed it Hunger Forest due to the fact that their hunger would oftentimes go unnoticed while they played and practiced archery.

"It sounded like... someone knocked him out," Quentin explained, a bit dumbfounded.

Jerome and Mitch exchanged confused looks before Mitch turn back with a frown on his face. "Seriously?"

"Knocking someone out? On purpose?" Jerome scratches his head. "That can't be... We as Virtues have the Effect, you know?"

The Effect referred to how Virtues affect those around them and all the Virtues have this ability. As long as the Virtue is alive, the Effect will continuously give off positive energy.

"Maybe they were trying to pull a prank but accidentally overdid it," Quentin suggested. "Then they must have felt horrible and ran off."

Jason nodded. It must be what happened. A failed attempt to scare him. "It's alright... I'll forgive them. Accidents happen all the time."

"No."

The group turns to Jerome.

"No...?" Quentin scowled. "What do you think happened?"

Jerome's tone darkened. "That's not an accident."

"Wh.. what are you talking about Jerome...?" Jason questioned. "What do you mean not an accident?"

"It's obvious," Jerome continued. "It's... a ghost!" There was a pause before he started laughing.

"Spooky things are in our forest, Jason," Mitch added in, nudging at Jerome. "We should have warned you beforehand."

Jason grinned at the two, knowing that they were trying to make him feel better.