-Thirty one-

P.O.V. Evelyn
Alex is an odd child.
I haven't met that many children, but from what I can tell, she doesn't seem to mind my sudden bluntness. Like when she asked what I usually do and told her I was working towards a medical career but I currently haven't undecided if that's what I really want. 
She didn't seem to understand exactly what I meant but she was consideriate enough to nod along.

"Hey, Ev'Lynn?"

"Eve if you want, Alex."

"Wanna play?"

I looked at her questionably as we finished eating the lunch I made for us; a ham and cheese sandwich with freshly washed romaine lettuce and slices of apples and bananas on the side. That's what kids like, right?

"What do you want to play?"

"Umm…" She balls her hand in a fist and poses as The Thinker, no doubt thinking. "I don't know."

Okay. This is what the countless of videos and tips prepared me for.

"Do you want to read?" Children like reading, surely.

"Nah. Every book I've read is boring."

I feigh a shocked gasp.

"Clearly you haven't read any of the better books provided to you."

She giggles. "Ooooh? Like what?"

I think for a second. There are many books I would consider a great first, but what specifically for her?

"Like...this one book with magic and wizards."

"Sounds boring!" She says that but she laughs playfully. Clearly intrigued but still wants to play the part of the reluctant child.

"Oh, but it's not! There's also a school of magic, filled with many young wizards and how they interact with each other and the magical world."

"Hmm.."

"I could read it to you if you want." Is she old enough to read? Surely, yes.

"You have it?! Where, I don't see it." She looks genuinely shocked, as if she never heard of a story without a book.

"Yes, on my phone."

"You can get stories on your phone?!"

I chuckle. "Yes. Sometimes, it even reads them to me when I can't read it myself."

"Amazing."
-------

We finish the first two chapters before I decided to text Sarah. It's already 2pm and I haven't contacted her all day. Is she worried? Am I the only one worried? 

Sarah Desert

Hello.
Sent 2:03pm

So, I have somehow come in the care of a child
Sent 2:03pm

Sorry for not telling you sooner

Sent 2:04pm

She's probably still in class. I wonder what she'll think.

"Eve, next chapter! He's about to go to Hogwarts!"

"Oh, you'll like this part!"