-Nine-

Evelyn POV

Cool man just shot his shot and scored a home run. Or a touchdown. One of those sports metaphors. He clearly has style and guts; part of every girl's dream guy. He's smooth, I admit. Maybe too smooth for his own, perhaps. I can't help but grow cautiously suspicious.

Oh my god, I'm the mom friend. How have I never noticed until now? It's all coming together, I've connected the dots.

"So what's his name?" During this whole exchange, she didn't happen to mention any name of this stranger-friend.

"Oh, it's J.J.!" Her pink-tinted brown eyes sparkle at the excitement of two-letter name. More than anything, it's the nickname she gave him since she calls everyone she wants to befriend a nickname.

"Intriguing." I start eating one of the other cookies she brought. It felt weird getting it out of the bag that had a note for her. Maybe he thought she wanted them. Does he think she likes macadamia nut cookies? This relationship is already built on lies, we might have to fix this before it catches on.

"I know right?! Get this: he also has a three names! Can you believe it?!" The pink bubble of enthusiasm gives a little shake.

"Ah, so we know he has or will kill someone like you will or have. Good you two meet a common ground." I continue to sketch but not with the same intensity as before. Just mindless shading here and there.

"What if we kill someone together! Perfect bonding experience!" I smile at the thought of this random occurrence.

"Which will lead you both to me, asking how to dispose of a body without getting caught." I pause to drink from the medium-temperature chocolate. "In which I will inform you both to take out the teeth, fingers and shave the head, and then call in anonymously about a dead body in a shallow cemetery grave, and once they are done looking through it, you bury the body there."

Sarah prompts her elbows on the table before saying, "You could possibly also tell us to burn it in a funeral home crematory."

I nod at the acceptable option. "True, but you would also lose more bonding time if you go that way."

She moves her hand to her head at the sudden realization. "Holy shiz, you're right."

I smile. "Just looking out for you."

She smiles back. "Thanks, love."

Something about that makes my blush and my stomach start to feel sick like I had too much to eat. Maybe I did; I already drank a whole cup of chocolate before and now I'm doing it again. I look at the little digital clock on the wall and see it's almost eight pm.

"Anyway, this was nice but I have to leave; my class starts soon." I put my sketchbook away into the satchel.

"Ooh, tell me about it when you get back!"

"Will do." I stand up and look at the table where the single cookie remains inside the bag with the note on it. "Want to split it?"

"I was already counting on it! That's what the whole point of being in a group of people is."

"I'm talking about the cookie, not J.J." I say with a small chuckle.

"Oh yeah that too."

She splits it, giving me the side with more nuts. I go to where the door is and look back at the booth we where both in. Sarah gives me a wave goodbye; I return the favor.

I turn my head as I open the door and lock eyes with the cashier J.J. I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he will be a good friend for not only me but Sarah. I give him a small smile and walk out.