-Twenty Seven-

Evelyn Pov

"Evelyn! Are you feeling better?", my manager comes up behind me and asks.

I'm feeling sort of better. I know why I've been acting as such for the past few years now, the painful part has is going away ever so slowly which is good,  it my mom wants to meet me sooner than expected which is not what I was looking forward to. So, am I feeling better, really?

" Yeah. Hey, thanks for letting me go early; I promise I'll stay longer to make it up."

"Oh, don't worry about it. Besides, we wouldn't want you to get seriously ill now. You may just work here, but I've come to think of you as family."

Maybe because the rest of your family also works here, it's odd to have some else not be part of your family and yet work here?

"Thanks, I appreciate that."

She smiles and leaves me in peace to go back to stocking cartons of juice in the fridge. Do people suddenly need vitamin C and D for some reason now?

"BRRRRRRRR!"

"Honey, come back!"

I look up and see a little kid with his arms crossing running around the store pretending to be an airplane, or a weird bird, their mom following close behind them.

"Alex, you're going to-"

Down goes the iron tower of chips.

"Uh oh."

The mother lets out a sigh and before she can say anything, I'm already there trying to pick everything back up.

"Oh, I'm sorry ma'am, my daughter-"

"It's alright. Accidents happen."

I hear the mother whisper to her child, " Honey! Go apologize!"

The small girl with the short hair and blue overalls, Alex, steps up and starts helping me pick each bag up.

"I'm sorry."

"How old are you?"

"Three..."

"Well, that was some good plane flying for a three-year-old. Even the crashing."

"Really!?"

"Yeah. Maybe later, when you practice in a more open area, you can get better."

"Maybe."

"I can handle the rest from here. But thank you, Alex."

She smiles and goes back to her mom, who ushers her towards the cashier register so she can wait there.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Dont worry ma'am, its already forgiven."

We both look towards Alex, playing with the keychains waiting for her mom.

"Are you nanny, any siblings, or have any kids of your own?"

"No, ma'am. My parents had just me and I was too busy as a teen to nanny in the neighborhood. Also, despite what you saw back there, I'm not that good with children. I just said to her what I wish someone would have told me."

I go back to fixing the way in which to chips are hanging from the rack.

"Well...maybe you think it was nothing, but I would still want to thank you. And perhaps, if your not to busy, would you want to think about nannying? I wouldn't normally ask this of anyone, but my job is currently making those 9 to 5 hours into 6 to 10, and her father doesn't want her around, which I can't believe, and my wife is overseas right now and-"

"Would you like some time alone in the break room, ma'am?" She looks like she is one the verge of computing and I don't blame her. Stupid father, not wanting your kid. Unless he's like...in the mafia or something then...not so stupid?

She chuckles a bit, after a long pause of considering it.

"No, no, I must get going. But here's my number, call when you can, or don't, I wouldn't want to pressure you-"

"What are the hours, as I have a night class."

She looks surprised, and I kind of am too.

"Oh, you can come in at seven and my brother will be there to take care of her in the late afternoon. So...from seven to six? If it's too much for you I totally understand-"

"Does she have any allergies or medications I should know about?"

"N-no none. Is this your way of saying you'll take the job?"

"Mommy!" Alex suddenly comes next to her mother and hugs her. Too impatient to wait any longer. She's probably messy too, considering how she messed up the aisle. Doesn't dress accordingly, messy, and impatient.

"I...guess it is."