Chapter 16

KAT'S POV

Midtown High students are waiting by a yellow bus, dressed in their yellow uniform jackets. I amongst them, typing away at my BuzzFeed quizzes.

"Hey, it's Peter," Abe says.

"Guys." Peter pants. No way is he going through this plan right?

"Peter?" Liz gasps.

"Hey, buddy." Carter greets.

"Yeah, I was hoping maybe I could rejoin the team." He asks. Nevermind, he's going with this plan. Flash, standing in the back, walks forward to face Peter.

"No, no way. You can't just quit on us, stroll up, and be welcomed back by everyone." Flash snaps. Mr. Harrington walks out of the bus.

"Hey, welcome back, Peter. Flash, you're back to first alternate." Mr. Harrington says. 

"What?" Flash gasps. 

"He's taking your place." I snicker. MJ appears behind them, tapping her foot rather impatiently.

"Excuse me, can we go already? 'Cause I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner, so." MJ asks. 

"Protesting is patriotic. Let's get on the bus." Mr. Harrington nods. Flash shrugs off his jacket and sullenly thrusts it into Peter's arms.

"Hey MJ!" I wave, and move over for her to sit. 

"Hi." MJ nods, pulling out a book a reading it. We soon are 128 miles from Washington and practicing for the Decathlon. 

"Focus up, everyone. Our next topic is the moons of Saturn." Liz commands. We are holding bells, focusing on Liz's quiz. 

"The second law of thermodynamics." Cindy says.

"Frank Sinatra." Charles answers.

"Fort Sumter." Flash says.

"Flash is wrong." Abe yells.

"Okay, guys, let's focus. Next one." Liz orders.

"Liz, don't overwork them." Mr. Harrington says.

"Uh, strontium, barium, vibranium." Peter answers, and I tense at the word vibranium. I shake it off, and continue.

"Very good, Peter. Glad to have you back." Liz smiles.

"Glad to be back." Peter nods. 

"What is the current standard unit of radioactive-" Liz asks.

"Can I take this real quick? I'll only be a sec." Peter asks.

"Yeah, fine." Liz nods. "Okay, focus up, everyone." 

The bus approaches Washington D.C. We get of the bus, and above the hotel entrance, I see a banner announcing the "United States Academic Decathlon." We arrive in the check-in area. I and MJ see the interior of the hotel which is filled with preparations for the Decathlon. We look on in awe as they walk in. Liz is at the front, leading everyone.

"Everyone stick together." Liz orders. 

"Yeah." Mr. Harrington nods. 

"You kidding me? This place is huge." Charles gaps. 

"I've seen bigger." Flash scoffs.

"I've seen worse. Be grateful Flash." I spat, walking past him. MJ flips the bird at him. 

"There's a bird in here." Abe points to a statue of a bird above us. 

I and MJ are sitting in our rooms, quietly staring at our respective objects. A knock on the door startles us, and I get up to answer it.