Chapter 11

Katriana's POV

Midtown Tech, Queens, New York

I walk in the school, not paying attention to other students as I make my way to my locker. A school news report is playing in the hallway, Betty Brant and Jason Ionello as the news anchors like every day.

"Rise and shine, Midtown Science, and Technology." Betty greets.

"Students, don't forget about your homecoming tickets. Do you have a date for homecoming?" Jason asks.

"Thanks, Jason, but I already have a date." Betty declines.

"Okay."

"Yeah."On TV, I see Jason rolling his eyes awkwardly.

"Kat!" Liz Allen, captain of the Decathlon team runs up to me. Yeah, I do Decathlon now.

"Hey, Liz." I greet.

"Decathlon meeting today, to prepare for the contest okay?" Liz says. I nod, and Liz walks off with her posse of girls. I walk into Science.

"Today we'll be talking about Danish physicist Niels Bohr, but trust me, there is nothing Bohr-ing about his discoveries regarding quantum theory." Mr. Cobbwell starts. The day goes by quickly, and soon it's lunchtime, when I, Harry, and Gwen walk in the lunch line. A homecoming banner is hung over the clock on the cafeteria wall by Liz, who is standing on a ladder.

"So, Kat. You and Peter." Harry starts again for the millionth time.

"I'll say it once, and I'll say it again Harry. Peter likes Liz. Everyone does." I groan.

"I don't like Liz." Gwen pipes up. "She's to... classy for me. Anyways, Cindy Moon is a real looker there. Is she gay?"

"I highly doubt it." I shake my head. We sit down at our usual spot, bantering happily, even though Peter and Ned were still highly invested in looking at Liz. I'm not jealous, but I am. I definitely have a huge crush on Peter. Why is fate so cruel to me? Soon, it's time for Decathlon.

Liz is standing at a podium, reading the quiz cards. Ned, Charles, Abe, and Cindy are seated on the stage. Bells are placed in front of them. I stare at the books, waiting for my turn with MJ, who was reading a book.

"Let's move to the next question. What is the heaviest naturally-occurring element?" Liz asks.

Charles rings a bell. "Hydrogen's the lightest. That's not the question. Okay. Yeah."

Abe slams his hand on the bell. "Uranium." Cindy Moon, who was frantically searching the books, glares at Abe.

"That is correct. Thank you, Abraham." Liz nods.

Abe quietly pumps his fist in the air. "Yes."

"Please open your books to page ten," Liz commands. We start reading until we get interrupted by Flash. I hate the dude.

"You've never even been in the same room as Tony Stark." Flash snaps.

"Wait, what's happening?" Cindy asks. Sally Avril, who is lying on her stomach and studying her notes, answers her.

"Peter's not going to Washington," Sally replies. What? No. Peter's our best player! He can't leave!

"No. No, no, no, no, no. No. No." Cindy repeats, in huge denial. Abe rings the bell beside her.

"Why not?" He asks.

"Really? Right before nationals?" Liz accuses.

"He already quit marching band and robotics lab," MJ says. Everyone looks at MJ, who is leaning on the wall with a book, with a suspicious look on their faces.

"I'm not obsessed with him. Just very observant." She adds nonchalantly.

"Flash, you're in for Peter," Liz commands.

"Ooh, I don't know. I gotta check my calendar first. I got a hot date with Black Widow coming up." Flash mocks. My insides boil with anger as my fists clench up. A bell quickly rings, and I look up.

"That is false." Abe accuses.

"What did I tell you about using the bell for comedic purposes?" Mr. Harrington asks.

Okay, sorry for the wait. Uh, I kinda had writer's block for this story, and then yeah.