Chapter 19 - More Plans

Roman jolted the car backwards and it stopped only inches from me. I breathed a sigh of relief, happy it hadn’t hit me.

“Roman! What the hell?” I said, slapping the back of the car. “Why are you trying to run me over?” I saw his eyes gaze at me through the rear-view mirror, filled with anger but also with sorrow.

“Just let me leave!” He spat, his eyes narrowing as he revved the engine again. My heart was in my mouth. Whatever had upset him was so bad he was willing to run me over to get away from it.

“I’m here for you Roman. You said you wanted someone to talk to that cared and here I am!” I cried out to him, hoping to hit a raw nerve. “Except you’re trying to run me over.” I mumbled to myself quietly. The revving of the engine died off and Roman took his hands off the wheel, running them through his hair. I took this opportunity to quickly run to the passenger seat and get in the car. As soon as I shut the door he revved the engine and reversed, driving us both out of the arena. We sat in silence for a while, I was too scared to say anything to him while he drove and he just stared blankly in front of him. When we reached a truck stop, he pulled in and switched the car off. I took a quick look around and noticed he’d picked one with absolutely no one near us. It was just some gravel at the side of the road with a closed burger truck at the end. No other vehicles were parked here and nothing was near us other than the motorway that runs alongside it. We were completely alone. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out, noticing it was a call from Dean.

“Don’t answer it.” Roman barked his order at me and I instantly rejected the call, turning my phone off straight afterwards.

“Roman?” I looked over to him with a sympathetic expression and he caught my gaze for a second, turning away only seconds afterwards. He slammed his hands on the steering wheel with aggression filling his body.

“God!” He shouted out as he beat up the front of the car, hitting and punching everything in sight – except for me. He pushed the car door open with force and stormed out, kicking the gravel around him.

“Roman, please calm down.” I could barely get any words out. This guy I’d looked up to and hung around with was now in front of me having a mental breakdown. For the first time ever, I didn’t feel like I could help someone. I got out of the car and walked round to him as he stood staring down at his feet with his hands on his head. “Let’s just talk about it.” I placed my small hand on his shoulder. “Is this about Mila?” His head shot up and he stared daggers at me.

“Don’t mention her name.” He spoke angrily.

“Roman I just want to help you! Talk to me!”

“It’s got nothing to do with you.” He spat venomously. His eyes still glaring at me in a way that made me feel scared for my safety. Why did I turn my phone off?

“I’m just trying to be there for you.” I spoke softly. He spun round to me and shoved me backwards into his car.

“I DON’T WANT YOUR HELP!” He shouted at me. I felt the lump in my throat grow as tears filled my eyes. I’m going to get hurt.
He stormed towards me and I cowered, my legs feeling like they were going to give out from underneath me. His fists were clenched as he stared down at me with no feeling, as if he’d never met me before.

“You’re better than this.” I said quickly. “The problem can be solved without doing this. If it’s about Mila, you’re definitely better than this. Just let me help you.” A single tear escaped and ran down my face. I watched as his body loosened and the angered expression on his face changed to one of horror.

“Lucy…” He moved his hand towards me and I flinched so he quickly withdrew it. “I’m so sorry, Lucy.” He grabbed me quickly and pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me. He rested his head on mine and kept repeating ‘I’m sorry.’. I slowly wrapped my arms around him too and I felt him breathe a sigh of relief because of it. “Please don’t hate me.” He mumbled into my head.

“I could never hate you.” I voiced what I’d thought only last night. “Let’s sit in the car and work this out.” Reluctantly we let go of each other and took our seats in his car, shutting the doors and putting the radio on quietly in the background. I prayed what he was going to say wasn’t too bad; I wanted to help him so badly. I wanted him to be the guy who helped me at the party again.

“I think she’s cheating on me.” Roman said, those few words hitting me hard, especially after the talk we’d had last night about how a girl broke him so much before.

“Think?” I didn’t want to push for too much information too quickly, knowing he was in a bad way at the moment. I felt a tickling above my eye so I swiped my hand across my eyebrow and felt dampness on my fingertips once more. How did I even manage to forget I’d done that?

“What happened to your eye?” Roman said, changing the subject as he studied the injury carefully.

“It’s the one from my debut. It just opened up again.” I said, not mentioning it was because of him. I knew what he was feeling; that horrible anger, sorrow and guilt that you get when you realise somehow you weren’t good enough for the person you were with. The last thing you need is people saying stupid things that make you feel worse.

“Did I-” Roman began but I cut him off, not wanting to talk about that.

“I’m fine. Let’s get back to talking about you. We haven’t got long until we’re meant to be training!” Roman nodded and pulled his seatbelt over him, starting the engine of the car.

“I’ll start driving us back.” He said, pulling off the gravelled area and back onto the motorway. “I called her because we arrived early and she answered but she sounded like she’d been rushing around. I asked her what she’d been doing and she said she was getting ready for work but I know she was scheduled to work the late shift today because she was meant to come to the show tonight.”

“How do you know she didn’t get called in early?” I said, hoping she wasn’t ruining a perfectly good relationship.

“She normally tells me. She requested not to be on call because of me. She said she wanted to make sure we spent time with each other.” Roman’s driving was becoming more erratic as he spoke about her.

“Maybe she was being honest. Maybe someone called in sick and she was the only person who could cover?” I said, still trying not to think of her as a cheat before I’d even met her.

“Yeah, somehow I doubt that.” He said, pulling back into the arena and into the same parking space we were in before. He switched the engine off but we stayed seated in the car.

“You really think she’s cheating?” Roman nodded, very sure of himself. “Well in that case, I have a plan…”