Chapter 30 - Great Date, Perfect Night

Roman's POV

The date went as well as I could have planned. I knew Lucy didn't want to be in the public eye with that bruise on her face; she felt so self-conscious. She thought it was terrible but really I knew she was still as beautiful as ever. I wasn't staring at the raise on her face or the bruise around her eye that she had covered so well with her makeup, I spent the whole time admiring the sparkle in her eye and the gleaming smile she had when she spoke to me. I could tell she liked being in my company - not being big-headed or anything, but I could finally see her face light up after so much drama that had engulfed us all over the last few weeks. It was so easy to get along with her; we spoke about anything and everything and I learnt a lot about her. She spent a lot of her life putting others before herself and when she was in wrestling school she did the same. Who would be so selfless when their dream was within their reach? 

“What are you thinking about?” Lucy’s sweet voice brought me back to reality. I was driving us back to my place but I hadn’t been concentrating on the road much. She was all I could think about.

“Nothing much.” I smiled as she looked at me unconvinced.

“You’ve been silent for the last ten minutes.” She said playfully, hitting me in the arm.

“Am I not allowed to concentrate on driving?” I stuck my tongue out at her.

“You’re the worst liar I’ve ever seen. If someone offered you $1million to lie and people believe it, you’d lose.” She rolled her eyes and tried her best to hide the huge smile on her face.

“Ok fine.” I tutted, knowing that voicing my thoughts would make her even happier. “I was thinking about you.” Her eyes widened and her mouth gaped.

“What about me?” She was quick to ask. I let out a small laugh and focussed again on driving. I was going to tell her, but I was going to make her work for it just to make me smile even more. Since we first met, I’d fallen for her charm; she was happy, funny and willing to help anyone – what isn’t there to love? Getting to know her better and be with her through milestones in her life had just made her more precious in my eyes. It’s not often you get to share those moments with people you keep so close to you. She’d finally made it in life, after helping so many, so now it was my turn to return the favour and make her feel like the most beautiful and happiest girl in the world.

“Hello??” She waved her small hand in front of my face. “You were meant to be telling me what you were thinking about?” I desperately bit at the insides of my cheeks to hide the smile that wanted to spread across my face.

“Yeah, just want to get past this junction and then I will.” I said, knowing the next junction wasn’t for a good fifteen minutes.

“It’s the straightest stretch of road ever! Come on!” She urged. “Tell me or I’ll put you in a headlock!” She said, giggling at the end of the sentence. I couldn’t hold on to the smile anymore and let the cheeky grin grow on my face.

“Alright!” I said in surrender. “I’ll tell you, but you’ll only roll your eyes and say I’m stupid.” She gestured for me to continue, clinging on to every word I said. “I was just thinking about how beautiful you were. You didn’t want anyone to see you. You covered up your injury with makeup but I didn’t even look at it, I was too busy staring into your eyes.” I looked over to her, seeing hope and love gleaming in her eyes. “And I was thinking about how stupid I was over the past few weeks and how happy I am you’ve given me another chance to show you the real me.”