Chapter 32 - The Date

After the practice readings, we all headed our separate ways - well when I say we ALL headed our separate ways; Paige and Dean went off together but Seth and I went in opposite directions to our destinations. I assume Seth was off to the gym and I was meeting up with Roman which I was hugely looking forward to until I read the script and realised I'd be carrying it with me when I met him. We were going out for coffee at a local place he loved, everything there was fresh and the produce was farmed locally, which was a huge thing for a lot of the WWE superstars and divas. It was as I made my way there, I realised he'd want to look through the script to see how great the piece I was going to perform was and see that they'd written in for Seth and I to kiss - something he said never happened.

"Hi babe!" Before I knew it I was with him, gulping down a huge sense of fear and terror. My feet had taken me there while my mind was elsewhere and it had left me with no time to even think of an excuse. "I see you have your script with you! How was the meeting?" I rolled my eyes as he led me to the table. "I already ordered you a skinny latte. I heard you like those." A small smile grew on my face. As small as it seemed, him buying me a coffee without asking what I wanted was a greatly appreciated gesture.

"Aww thank you! My favourite!" I smiled as I instinctively chucked the script on the table in front of me, instantly regretting that move as I saw Roman's gaze move to it. "It wasn't a meeting. Mark basically threw the scripts at us and ran off." I continued, hoping to take Roman's mind off the script itself.

"You weren't out for long though! That script looks huge!" He said, moving his hand towards it to pick it up. I threw my hand on it and he retreated quickly. I picked it up, hoping to style it out.

"Yeah it spans over three shows." I said, palms beginning to sweat as I flicked my finger across the pages. "Raw stops here, Smackdown is here and the next Raw is here. They've even given us a backstage bit!" Roman looked at me a little confused, but tried to continue our conversation.

"A backstage bit?" He said with eyes widened. "That’s crazy! They must want this storyline to go far!" I nodded happily as the coffees arrived at the table. I grabbed mine and took a sip quickly, enjoying the taste but hating the burning sensation that was growing in my mouth. Anything was better than talking about this script right now. It was only going to get towards that question sooner or later.

"So what have they written for you and Seth to do?" Roman said, holding his hand out for me to hand him the script. Well that was sooner than I thought! I couldn't refuse to give it to him; he was my boyfriend and work colleague.

"I haven't read that far into it." I lied. "We didn't want to spend too much time on it today and Paige and Dean had stuff to do." The lie grew with every word. Why couldn't I just tell him the truth? What was I so scared of? With my head and heart screaming at me to hide the script, I reluctantly handed it to him shakily. He opened the first page and a smile grew on his face.

"It’s so cool seeing your name on a script." You won't be saying that when you get a few pages in I thought.

"It’s so surreal that I'm actually in a storyline like this." I said, my eyes glued to the script as he skim read it and flicked closer and closer to that page.

"What?" I flicked my gaze up to Roman and saw him staring at me with an eyebrow raised. "You've been staring at this script for the last few minutes. What is it?" I opened my mouth but no sound came out. In my head I was telling him about the kiss and how shocked I was it was written in, but in reality I was stumbling over my syllables to the point of making no sense. Roman flicked through the pages wanting to find out what was bothering me so much and I saw his face drop as soon as he reached it. He turned back a page and read the script in depth, turning the page slowly and reading every word on that page too. He was reading it.

"I didn't know how to tell you." For some reason I could speak now he knew about it. He looked very unimpressed.

"They wrote for you to kiss Seth and you were going to hide it from me?" Roman asked.

"No!" I shook my head. "I was going to tell you but I didn't know how to say it. It’s not something you want to hear!" Roman threw the script back on the table and shook his head.

"They know we're a couple. Why are they ruining it with this storyline?" His face was screwed up with anger and he was staring daggers at the pile of papers in-between us. 

"I don't know." I shrugged, feeling in the pit of my stomach that it was somehow my fault. "Mark didn't even mention it. I don’t even know if Seth read that far into the script!" I said, attempting to turn this on someone else before my mind began imagining things. "We read a few bits but then he said he was meeting someone to go to the gym and I just read that bit more."

"I can't believe it." Roman shook his head again, taking a sip of his coffee. "We literally just spoke about this and I said they never do it." 

"I know." I said reluctantly. "That’s why I struggled to tell you... But I don't know what to do now. I don't know what it’s leading to..." Roman snatched the script back and opened it again; skim reading through the whole thing.

"Unbelievable." Once again the script was thrown on the table. "They're doing the whole 'Dean is looking out for me' thing and Seth’s going to kiss you to anger the both of us." He went back across a few pages and re-read them. “Seth is going to tell Dean he’s so successful he can get anything he wants and he’s going to go for you. Dean says no and looks out for you despite you and Paige having this rivalry. You’re going to be angry with her, she’s going to get angry at him, he’s going to get angry at Seth and then the pay-per-view will come around and you’ll both have your matches.”

“Well, can’t say they haven’t thought it through!” I said, sipping my coffee every time there was an awkward moment. I’d finish this coffee in the next minute I was sure. This was one of those dates you wished was so much better than what it actually was…

“I’m going to call them up.” Roman said, his phone already in his hand. “They can’t do this!”

“Roman, there’s no point.” I said, knowing he was right to react this way but knowing there was no way they were going to change it. “All they’re going to say is that they’ve written it and aren’t re-writing it because you’re scared Seth might fall in love with me.” Roman’s face dropped as soon as I’d finished my sentence and I regretted it. “I didn’t mean it like that.” I apologised, offering a sorry smile.

“Fine, I won’t call them.” Roman said, despite his phone still remaining in his hand. “I’ll call Seth.”