Chapter 10 - Meet and Greet

The nerves I had felt walking up to the doors of the club had now quadrupled. My legs felt shaky and weak and my heart was in my mouth as we walked through another set of doors and into the club. The music was loud and the bass shook the floor yet somehow the sound of general chatter was loud enough to be heard along with the music. There were a lot of people there; some in suits, others on slightly more casual clothing, all in groups having chats, laughing and clinking their glasses together.

"Lets go and find the others." Dean said, taking charge and walking off into the crowds of people. I stuck by Roman and couldn't help but feel like I needed him for protection. There was no way this day was going to end well. I could already see it. We'd greet everyone and Leighla would pretend to be nice, then she'd make a snide remark or I'd put my foot in it and it'd all kick off.

"Don't worry about her." Roman said suddenly, looking down to me. It still amazed me just how small I was in comparison to everyone else. I used to think being 5ft 2 was great!

"What do you mean?" I questioned, trying to play dumb.

"I can see you're thinking about it. You look terrified." Roman said sympathetically. We kept weaving through people attempting to follow Dean as he ran ahead of us. 

"I am terrified. I dont want to ruin it all before its even started." He knew I was talking about my job. "If I put my foot in it and get in a fight with her, the whole work place is right here to see it. You'll all hate me, especially Seth and I'll be back doing the boring jobs I've always hated." I sighed and fiddled with my hair as we walked. 

"Its fine, if anything happens me and Dean will be there to sort it out!" He smiled. "Just think about how this party is going to boost your popularity within the work group. Get to know the superstars and divas and make a good impression. Then maybe if they've got a storyline, they'll think of you!" It was a good point he made, this didn't have to be all doom and gloom! I could do well here and make myself more famous and more popular- as bad as it sounds but its what this whole thing is about! There's no point being in this job if you're just going to blend into the background! I now felt slightly better as we finally found Dean and a huge table of people that were definitely daily tv stars. Each of them were muscly, toned and in an outfit that did everything to enhance their perfect body structure, the girls were wearing the best makeup and had their hair done to perfection and the guys had their hair and facial hair trimmed perfectly.

"Wow." I whispered under my breath. 

"This is the girl I was talking about, Lucy." Dean introduced me to the whole table, all of whom then turned to look at me. My cheeks heated up and turned a deep shade of red as I forced a fake smile to hide the nerves. Dean had already got comfortable in the centre of the table with Seth and Leighla on one side and two spaces on the other side for Roman and I, I assumed.

"Hi." I managed to finally say after the nerves died down a little. "Its nice to meet you all!" I offered a polite smile and Dean then waved us over to the seats next to him. I sat next to Dean and Roman next to me. Opposite us were Rosa, Paige and an Australian blonde girl I had not met yet.

"Hey Lucy!" Paige smiled, grabbing my attention as soon as I'd sat down. "Did you hear about our piece?" I shook my head. I'd completely forgotten that I could now read up on what I'd done! I was so used to just doing my job and going home.

"No. Was it good?" I said, suddenly worrying they had written something bad about my performance.

"They loved it!" She beamed. "They're all raving about our upcoming match! The WWE universe loved it too, we were trending on twitter!" My jaw dropped and I let out a surprised smile.

"Really?" I said, making sure. "They liked it?"

"Loved." Rosa replied for Paige.

"Well, lets give them the match they want! I'm up for it!" I grinned. It was like getting an A on something in school and you were stupidly pleased with yourself.

"Awesome! I think Mark will be calling us about it soon." Paige said, holding her glass up. "A toast to the most awesome Divas!" She winked.

"Of course!" I said jokingly as we clinked our glasses together and took a sip. I had no idea what it was, but it was in a tall flute and it was bubbly so I'm sure I was going to like it, everyone on the table had one.

"Bet you never thought you were going to be here a few months ago!" A male wrestler said to me, his hair was shaved really short and he had stubble.

"Never!" I grinned childishly.

"Shame she did." I heard Leighla say under her breath but I chose to ignore her. I was going to be the bigger person here.

"And I never got the chance to meet you, I blame these guys for that!" He laughed. "I'm Cesaro." He was sat slightly too far away for me to shake his hand or anything so I just held my glass up and nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Cesaro." He nodded in reply.

After a while some food was dished out for us all and we ate it like we hadn't eaten in years. Soon after, we were all up on the dance floor showing off the moves we thought we had.
Paige and who I now knew was Emma were dancing together with Summer Rae joining in every now and again when she wasnt trying to chat up a Superstar. Cesaro and some of the guys were just sat up at the bar watching everyone else dance and eventually it was left with just Dean, Roman, Seth, Leighla and I now sitting at the table. Convenient I know. It was like they had planned it.

"Look, its probably just best to sort it out now rather than drag it out forever." Seth broke the silence that was so awkward it was unbearable and I was actually thinking of dancing just to get away - which wouldn't have been a good sight for anyone.

"I'm fine with that." I said calmly. "Because I have nothing to say cos nothing happened." Leighla shot me a glare across the table but calmed down when Seth put his hand on her knee.

"What is this even about?" Roman asked as he looked between me and Leighla.

"She tried it on with Seth and that is unacceptable. He's my boyfriend." She began.

"What proof do you have?" I said quickly, just wanting this out of the way as quickly as possible.

"People on twitter were talking about it." She replied.

"Yeah and people on twitter have also trended the death of celebrities that are very alive right now!" I said, frustrated that she was acting like those 12 year olds that believe everything they read in magazines and online.

"Well... It wouldn't surprise me. I mean look at you." She said, knowing she had nothing better to say that would back up her argument. Insulting me was the next best thing.

"Babe!" Seth looked at her in shock. I could see Dean and Roman tense up at what had just been said.

"What? What about me?" I said, wanting her to add fuel to the fire.

"Well you're dressed in a dress so small and tight it leaves nothing to the imagination and your makeup is too much and I bet you did all this to impress Seth again." She rambled on.

"Again? Oh yeah, I forgot how much I must have enticed him with blood running down my face!" I said sarcastically.

"Yes, you used that to get him alone with you." I could tell she'd really gone through everything in her mind before she spoke to me. It was all just spewing out without a thought and as a girl I knew this was only for one reason - her own insecurity.

"She wouldn't want to get with Seth if he offered himself on a plate." Roman answered for me. "She wouldn't have used her injury for that, don't talk rubbish." Seth looked slightly taken aback that his work colleague had chosen to stick up for me and insult him.

"And why is that?" Leighla just kept going on.

"Because she's interested in me."