35 - the big question

——

——

The only thing Aaron could feel was pain. His whole body was on fire, he didn't think he could move but all he wanted to do was run. He didn't know where he was. He didn't remember a lot.

"Hey." He heard a soft voice say. "It's me. Olivia."

Olivia? He wanted to open his eyes and see her. But he felt like he was trapped in his own body. But he wanted to open his eyes.

He could hear her sob. His heart broke when he heard her speak. "I'm sorry." She murmured. "It's all my fault. Oh god Aaron I'm so sorry." Her voice was muffled by her tears but he could hear her as clear as day.

It wasn't her fault. Can someone tell her it wasn't her fault damnit.

He felt her hand on his and tried to squeeze it. She gasped and squeezed back. "Can you hear me? Squeeze once for 'yes' and twice for 'no'."

He squeezed once, happy that he could communicate with her.

"Do you think you could open your eyes?" She asked softly.

He squeezed her hands three times and hoped she would understand.

"Is that a maybe?" He squeezed once and that confirmed it. Maybe he could open his eyes. He tried but he couldn't. He tried again and he managed to crack them open the tiniest bit. He could see the blinding lights of the hospital room and the smell of disinfectant assaulted his nose as his body finally woke up.

"Aaron?" She squeaked. He opened his eyes fully and blinked. The hospital was so white and clean. It freaked him out sometimes. He slowly turned his head to the side and saw her. She looked as beautiful as ever. Her hair was slightly curly and her face was lit up with a smile.

He smiled at her and squeezed her hand. Her face glowed with excitement and she called the nurse and doctor to look over him. He had a check up by the doctor and drank a lot of water, he didn't realize how parched he was until he was handed a glass of water.

"Ma'am, we're going to have to ask you to leave now." The nurse said to Olivia.

"I-"

"No." Aaron croaked. "Can she stay? Please."

The nurse smiled softly. "I'm sorry sir but only immediate family is allowed to stay."

"She's my fiancé. She and my son is all I have." He said sadly. "And he's not here."

The nurses eyes softened as she gazed at the dejected man lying in the hospital bed and the young lady staring at him with loving eyes. "Okay. Stay as long as you like ma'am."

She left the room and left the two of the alone.

"I don't see a ring." Olivia joked.

Aaron smiled painfully. "Maybe one day."